Mercedes GLA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased a 2014 GLA 45 AMG (x156). So far very pleased. Fitted with 235/40 R20 Continental tyres. The ride is solid and Kent roads are rough.

To improve the ride experience I thought I would change the wheel/tyre set up. This has not been an easy 'ride'.

The question. If I want All Season tyres, so as to avoid a second set of wheels, what size rims get over the huge brake calipers on the front and still roll correctly?

Thanks

Prudence

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have purchased a 2014 GLA 45 AMG (x156). So far very pleased. Fitted with 235/40 R20 Continental tyres. The ride is solid and Kent roads are rough.

To improve the ride experience I thought I would change the wheel/tyre set up. This has not been an easy 'ride'.

The question. If I want All Season tyres, so as to avoid a second set of wheels, what size rims get over the huge brake calipers on the front and still roll correctly?

Thanks

Prudence
According to the handbook you can get down to 18" rims, fitted with 215/55 tyres. But that would leave your AMG compromised for most of the year in my opinion. Maybe go for what I have on mine (2014 GLA250) which are 235/45 R19 and are fine; though I suspect your suspension is probably firmer, although as an early model I do have the lower ride height and not the tractor version...
IMG_20210520_1224249~2.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to the handbook you can get down to 18" rims, fitted with 215/55 tyres. But that would leave your AMG compromised for most of the year in my opinion. Maybe go for what I have on mine (2014 GLA250) which are 235/45 R19 and are fine; though I suspect your suspension is probably firmer, although as an early model I do have the lower ride height and not the tractor version... View attachment 1000
I also looked at the owners manual, and thought about 18's, but I don't think they are considering the Brembo calipers. Do all the AMG models come with Brembo's?
19's could be a feasible option and an All Season tyre is available, but will it improve the ride?
Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also looked at the owners manual, and thought about 18's, but I don't think they are considering the Brembo calipers. Do all the AMG models come with Brembo's?
19's could be a feasible option and an All Season tyre is available, but will it improve the ride?
Cheers
Are you, and will you be, running runflats?

·
Registered
20 Posts
So my opinion for what it's worth...
No idea if Brembo are OEM-fit as standard or factory option, or whether they have been retro-fitted by a previous owner, but looking at your photo I would say it looks like there could well be an inch of clearance; so that would enable 18" rims to fit. And I'd be surprised for 18" to be listed in the handbook as a possible fit if they're not. But then if the Brembo were only available as an option...? I can't see anything in a contemporaneous sales brochure other than the fact 19" rims were standard on the GLA45 and all the photos show them having red calipers.
Personally I think all cars have oversize wheels these days. I'm running my 19" rims with runflats and the ride is not bad (I've experienced worse), so if you don't have runflats I suspect your 235/40 profile compared to my stiffer-walled 235/45 profile would be pretty similar, and the harshness you have is probably down to AMG suspension.
So given that, would there be any great benefit in dropping from 20" to 19"? I'd think it's not worth the expense for a possible minimal difference.
What would I do? Move to two sets of wheels, even if one set has to stay in the garden (they're used to getting wet). Look for a set of 18" on ebay and get winter or 'robust' all-season tyres (or maybe Uniroyal Rainmaster - work well I've found). Get a set of 18" cheap enough (I doubt they are that desirable) and it's a cheap way to test it out. Or, if you can indeed find some 19", that will give you standard fitment (with a more sensible visual appearance) and I doubt you'd have a problem selling the 20" to a boy racer.
I suppose it all depends on how long you had intended to keep the car.
As I said, my opinion for what it's worth!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So my opinion for what it's worth...
No idea if Brembo are OEM-fit as standard or factory option, or whether they have been retro-fitted by a previous owner, but looking at your photo I would say it looks like there could well be an inch of clearance; so that would enable 18" rims to fit. And I'd be surprised for 18" to be listed in the handbook as a possible fit if they're not. But then if the Brembo were only available as an option...? I can't see anything in a contemporaneous sales brochure other than the fact 19" rims were standard on the GLA45 and all the photos show them having red calipers.
Personally I think all cars have oversize wheels these days. I'm running my 19" rims with runflats and the ride is not bad (I've experienced worse), so if you don't have runflats I suspect your 235/40 profile compared to my stiffer-walled 235/45 profile would be pretty similar, and the harshness you have is probably down to AMG suspension.
So given that, would there be any great benefit in dropping from 20" to 19"? I'd think it's not worth the expense for a possible minimal difference.
What would I do? Move to two sets of wheels, even if one set has to stay in the garden (they're used to getting wet). Look for a set of 18" on ebay and get winter or 'robust' all-season tyres (or maybe Uniroyal Rainmaster - work well I've found). Get a set of 18" cheap enough (I doubt they are that desirable) and it's a cheap way to test it out. Or, if you can indeed find some 19", that will give you standard fitment (with a more sensible visual appearance) and I doubt you'd have a problem selling the 20" to a boy racer.
I suppose it all depends on how long you had intended to keep the car.
As I said, my opinion for what it's worth!
Thank you for your thoughts.
You touch on the thought I had with changing from 20's to 19's and no obvious improvement, but a cost implication.
I plan to ask the main dealer for a set of winter wheels and see what he comes up with.
Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts