Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not able to hear the warning tones (proximity to obstacles) and understand that the volume cannot be increased - even in the workshops. If this is indeed the case, it's a major defect and I hope that M-B will take steps to remedy the matter. I've driven many VWs over the years and had no difficulty in hearing the warning tones in these cars.
R-t-B

·
Registered
55 Posts
The proximity system tones are completely audible to me, but if your hearing is not great, you also have the light displays in the front and rear, which you can see in the rear-view mirror, and the coloured bars on the indicator on the reversing camera screen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I use the visual displays but it would be nice to hear an audible warning when negotiating a tight spot. I do have hearing aids but don't like to wear them in the car. It's a pity that the tones are not louder as standard or at least adjustable in the workshop. The local dealer mentioned that another customer had the same problem.
R-t-B

·
Registered
55 Posts
As a software engineer I have some sympathy with the developers. One writes programmes to do what the brief requires, then one tries hard to predict all the miriad of ways that something might go wrong (and deal with it in an informative and constructive way), ways that people might mis-use the system or input unexpected things, and use it in ways that are completely unexpected to a developer. Improvement comes through feedback, but as I find out time and again, the end-users give the feedback to the sales staff but it never makes it back to the developer because the sales staff are either disinterested or they are unaware that things can be changed. In this case, you have an audible warning that has clearly been set to alert anyone with normal hearing, and you have a visual system for people with hearing difficulties. If the software developer for that particular system had any idea that it might be useful to have a volume controller, I'm sure they would have added it, but in their mind, they would have fulfilled the brief and then some. You will only ever get your volume control if the right feedback gets back to the right developer, but it's not necessarily his fault.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.
I've mentioned this to the dealer and they say that the volume has been set for normal hearing and that it's better to look at the visual display. I did ask them to report this back to M-B and perhaps they will. However, I guess that there are people in Stuttgart checking this forum and I hope it will be noted.
R-t-B

1 - 7 of 7 Posts