Mercedes GLA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Anyone else getting the noise that sounds like the rims are hitting the road when cornering on wet roads or with cold tyres sounds and feels terrible
Any feedback would be appreciated
Silverarrow

·
Registered
55 Posts
I push my GLA pretty hard in all weathers and I have never heard any strange noises from the wheels when in motion. What you describe could be down to the tyres breaking grip, as if it was a mechanical problem you'd hear it more in the dry when the forces acting on the wheels and bearings etc. are higher. Are you running winter tyres? If not, maybe you should be.

The only other thing I can think of is that you are losing grip on a wheel (due to the wrong tyres for the conditions), which is then spinning and having the brake on that wheel automatically applied by the traction control system. I get a similar sound when pulling away from rest on a steep incline, which has to be happening at the moment that the brakes are automatically released, as the wheels pick-up drive from the engine. The systems that control the traction are very complex and the GLA has huge brake disks, so some noise is inevitable when the wheels are braked or released by the car's various systems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply
It manly happens when pulling away and mostly from the left front when tyres are cold or road is wet think I might pop to dealer. A scar is two months old and didn't do this from the start. Just to be on the safe side

·
Registered
55 Posts
That information just reinforces my theory. The car is front-wheel drive and has a lot of torque. When it is wet, or the tyres are cold, the grip will be vastly reduced if you have summer tyres. So you pull away, the tyre slips and the traction control brakes the wheel to stop it spinning. It probably didn't do it before because it wasn't so cold, maybe. I'll bet you a beer I'm right

·
Registered
55 Posts
A GLA 250 4matic A-line ...a very dirty one, 'cause we've had snow and slush for weeks now. I'm sure I bought a silver car! In fact, it's because of the snow that I've gotten used to the sounds of the traction control. Only last night I drove across the top of the mountain that we live on, through snow so thick it was scraping the underside of the car. I frequently use the decent control down steep tracks through snow and ice, and the wheels are constantly being braked and released as the traction control does its bit to prevent us hurtling over the edge of the unguarded tracks we drive on. This is one of many reasons that I love my GLA

1 - 11 of 11 Posts