Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my GLA for 4 weeks and love it! I would like to fit a towbar, but am unable to find details of one - anybody know anything about them?

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have ordered mine with the factory fitted tow bar.
A much more expensive option, but doesn't leave any worries about warranty.
Did the same on my Audi Q3, and I am delighted that I paid for the best.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had one fitted last week. Detachable westfalia. The same company fitted one to my Audi Q3. Really pleased. No need to amend rear skirt (AMG line). They have to remove the clocks etc. all very scary but great job and everything working well. Expensive though.

·
Registered
0 Posts
hi Mercedes man I am having one fitted on Monday but it is going on the demo car on the understanding that they do not have to cut the car.we cannot have the car without a tow bar so mercedes have agreed to let one be fitted as long has they don't cut the bumper etc.It is nice to hear you have had one fitted to the amg body kit so I might be driving a new car next week.What clocks did they have to remove?
Nigel

·
Registered
0 Posts
When I specked my car up, I noticed that you cannot have a factory fitted tow bar on an AMG.
Also, when I discussed having Mercedes fit the tow bar to a SE model, nobody at the dealership was sure whether it could be done!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The AMG "no tow bar" thing relates to real AMG models, not ones fitted with just AMG styling (which i understand is unique to UK). Im really happy with mine. No cutting was required. Apparently the tow bar is the same as CLA but the wiring kit is specific to GLA. The guy said he had to remove the front dashboard clocks and lots more. I had a Q3 which did have tow bar prep, but this one didn't have it. They did a great job though, but best part of £600!

·
Registered
0 Posts
MercMan: Is your GLA fitted with Extended Mobility tyres (run-flat), and how would you compare the ride comfort of the Q3 to the GLA? Any other significant differences?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did like my Q3 and was close to just buying another but decided to try the GLA. I do have run flat Tyres and cannot say I've noticed a huge difference in ride. I prefer the S Tronic gearbox in the Audi. It seemed smoother and more responsive. The GLA is a nice place to be though. Nicer dash, seats, clocks, lighting. I prefer the electro brake in the centre rather on the dash. I miss the higher ride but then I prefer the look of the merc

·
Registered
0 Posts
had my tow bar fitted last week used it this weekend .It is very close to the bumper when hitching up I have been putting a piece of plastic between the bumper and the hitch.has anybody else towed a caravan with a 220 and what do you get to the gallon.
What are people getting on average on the diesel 220 .i bought a demo with 2500 miles on the clock the computer said average of 35 miles to the gallon when I questioned mercedes I was told it has to do 6000 miles before you get the best mpg.
any comments will be nice.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I may change my order from a 220 SE to a 220 AMG, which gives me the issue that Mercedes do not manufacture the AMG line version with a factory fit tow bar

As I really fancy the AMG version, I am considering the already mentioned Wesfalia detachable bar.
Just the kit with wiring seems to be around £550, before fitting.
I notice someone paid around £600, did this include fitting?

My main concerns are how good a job can be done, and that the car looks great (and uncut) when the tow bar is detached. Everyone happy with their fitting, and use of the bar (we tow a caravan)?
Any help, or reassurance much appreciated

·
Registered
0 Posts
I hadn't noticed this previously on the Mercedes Benz website

"Tow bar, manually folding – excludes 13-pin adaptor
When ordering please discuss with your Retailer any specific electrical towing requirements

(Rear bumper with diffusor will be omitted on AMG Sport Edition)"

Sounds like you can factory fit to the AMG, but get an SE rear bumper?

·
Registered
0 Posts
My car is the 220cdi pre plus with the amg body kit .Westfalia detachable bar was £612.00 fitted it is very close to the bumper so you do have to be careful.It cannot be seen when detached.The AMG body kit is the main thing on the car .It is a nice motor when in sports mode it pulls great and it tows fine i have a 24 ft caravan which i towed last week not as easy as my old Q5 audi but it was a lot bigger car and a 3.0l but overall i am well pleased with it .Command is great on the car if you have ordered it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Thank for the response Nigel

I have never heard of the Pre Plus - I was offered SE or AMG line. Am I missing something?
The AMG body kit is one of the big pulls of the AMG line, and I am happy to hear that its good looks aren't affected when the bar is removed.
We tow a caravan also, which I suspect is smaller than yours - a 442, on a 'light' chassis.
I already find the fit tight on my Q3, and don't think it can be much tighter to allow the caravan onto the car?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Meant to add an update from Mercedes.
When my dealer has attempted to add the tow bar to the AMG line, the system will not allow it (same as when you build your own car online in the configuration).
I quoted the information from mercedes-benz.co.uk in my post above (timed 0446!) and she said that the info on there isn't always right!
She is phoning "Mercedes Product" today, for hopefully the definitive answer.

·
Registered
0 Posts
All

I take delivery of my 220 4matic AMG on the 15th and I want to fit a tow bar

Can people who have installed provide details of the towbar etc and any photos if possible

Regards

GMAC

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hi we had a westfalia fitted on our 220 amg it is a removable bar but is very close to the bumper .We have just had some problems with the dedicated wiring on it we had to have the car put back to factory settings then we had to have the tow bar wiring recoded with a new code .I will be connecting the caravan up on sunday.It was fine the first three times we used it then we lost the ATC on the caravan then the indicators and brake lights nightmare.When the bar is removed you cannot tell that there is one fitted.I will put some photos on on sunday i am out tommorrow.It cost £612.00.
Nigel

·
Registered
0 Posts
Nigel thanks that sounds a little worrying. Did the Mercedes dealer do the resetting or your tow bar installer ?

Do you know if it impacts Mercedes warranty in any way as my car will be a company car

1 - 20 of 24 Posts