Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else noticed a large amount of torque steer when gunning it? Admittedly the 45 has enormous amounts of torque and the four wheel drive balances the power front to rear when under hard acceleration, but a couple of times now on snap overtakes I have noticed the car slightly snaking. Not a problem just curious?

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Must admit I've not noticed anyone mention it in any reviews but I guess you do have a lot of power and it will depend on the quality of the road surface too, our roads are still a bit damp and greasy at the moment.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Bit or understeer makes you feel how the car drives... normal it is awd after all....my car is much more fluid with the help of Renntech stage 1 :) 414 bhp

·
Registered
0 Posts
I guess it depends a lot on how you handle the GLA which will lead to torque steer. But if it feels odd to you take it in and have the dealer mechanic check it out. It could also mean getting use to all that power in a awd package.

·
Registered
0 Posts
the awd is 67 : 33 front bias... so front wheelsdrive most of the time until the haldex system kicks in for all wheels to drive out of tricky situations.. also can be driver error... a different driving style needs to be adopted from the beginning..

·
Registered
0 Posts
yes exactly same now for my upgrade renntech stage 1 414 bhp.... car drives totally different again but smoother and more linear power band, improved my mpg 23 lol has helped with the one second wait for the turbo to bite... it is how the car should of left the factory imho... throttle response is better slightly

·
Registered
8 Posts
No, I can't say I have noticed any torque steering ...if I floor the accelerator, it takes off in a straight line.
Have you disabled ESP?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No turning off ESP would be a accident waiting to happen! I have worked this out though, thanks to a close friend who is an ex BTCC driver and now a TV pundit! The particular road is an A road that is prone to camber change and farm muck and it was a couple of spirited overtakes that manifested the torque steer situation. Moving from main carriage to right and back on negative camber in greasy conditions the diffs and gearing tried to compensate and resulted in a left/right steer compensation at, well lets say, higher speeds which was to say, "twitchy" and needed serious concentration!
The car in almost all situations is sublime and whilst the slightly skinny tyres (in terms of large horsepower motors) are a driving challenge, the fast bends instil a Fast and Furious Tokyo drift type of experience which is great. Obviously all of this is on a track and not the highways!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hmm.... Sounds like the road from Bridgnorth to Much Wenlock

I "accidentally" turned ESP off and went round a small roundabout.. that was fun!
I do NOT turn it off now.
I am curious, you have a GLA45 as do I; do you notice the "strange rear wheel noise" when making a sharp right (or left) turn after the car has been standing for a few hours?
(There's a topic of mine elsewhere on this forum)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts