Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several times ( 5or 6)I have returned to my GLA to find the tailgate open, despite the car being securely locked. I have been so concerned about this, that I carefully check that the tailgate is closed from a distance when I leave the car, so I am sure this is not me accidentally touching the key fob and opening the tailgate.On two occasions, the car has been on my drive locked and with my car keys put safely away. On these occasions I have walked past the car (taking the dog for a walk) and the tailgate has been shut and on my return 30 minutes later the tailgate has been open.Has anyone else experienced this problem or got any suggestions?David

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome to the forum David

That sounds very worrying - what has your MB dealer said or done about it so far?

Is your spare key secure i.e. are you 100% sure it's not your kids or friends playing a prank?

Does this always happen in the same place e.g. your home?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RoyThanks for your interest.Booked in at local MB dealers for Thursday but checking to see if anybody else had experienced the same problem. They are also having a second go at sorting out the intelligent light system - both headlamps replaced a few weeks agoand still not operating correctly.It has happened at to many locations for anybody to be messing about. The only possible thought that I currently have, is that my son has a Ford Focus andon both occasions it happened at home, he arrived home shortly beforeI found the tailgate open. On one of the other occasions (20 miles away), when I came back to the tailgate open, a Focus was parked next to it????D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hmmm. Worth telling MB about this. It's very unlikely, but I guess it could be some sort of clash of code between the Focus remote locking system and your Merc's remote tailgate release.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi David, My wife had the same problem a few weeks ago with her GLA 220 CDI 4Matic when she was at work and someone told her her boot door was wide open, I thought she must have inadvertently pressed her key but she was definite it was locked when she parked. I will be interested to find out what MB discover on yours. My wife has had a few issues with her GLA, collision avoidance, fuel cap wouldn't open, EGR valve replaced, recall for seal replacement, etc. Between us this is our ninth merc and the first with so many issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi SparkyThanks for this. I know for certain that the key was not pressed on the occasions I mentioned. In fact it is most unlikely that this can be done accidentally because unlike the central locking, that unlocks immediately the button is pressed, the tailgate button requires to be pressed for a full second before it activates the tailgate.Like you, I have had many new Mercedes E classes and my sense is that the quality assurance on the GLA certainly seems to have slipped - Intelligent light system required two new headlights, rattles and from day one. Let's see what the dealer finds on Thursday.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There seems to be two versions of the GLA out there at the moment: one with lots of problems, and the other with none. Is it just that those few people with issues are posting more, or am I the only one with a fault-free car (so far)? I too have had lots of Mercs in the past, but this one is definitely my favorite!

·
Registered
0 Posts
When I had the 'loan' car (one of 5, I might add) I had MB Assist out 3 times due to the boot catch not engaging. So the boot would go down, settle, disengage and ping back up. When I returned the car, I mentioned this to them and they still proceeded to put the car out for sale on the forecourt and I knew full well the it hadn't even been looked at. I have videos of the boot not engaging and they just laughed it off.
Not people I ever want to encounter again in my lifetime. Sorry for the bitterness, I wish I could be more positive about my experience.
And the ILS on my actual car.... Well, they laughed off that there was any issue with that either. Mine displayed 'system inoperative'. They denied the fault was there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The simple answer from the local MB Dealership was "that their diagnostic tool did not show a fault, so they cannot do anything". I then asked what would happen if anything was stolen from the boot under these circumstances and I was told "you can always claim on your insurance".I pointed out that there were a couple of other examples of this problem on the forum and was told "MB don't take any notice of forums, they only take notice of diagnostics".I just wonder where to go from here, knowing full well that on occasions the boot opens intermittently and yet having to leave the car in car parks, etc?D

·
Registered
55 Posts
That's a terrible attitude and probably stems from the dealer having to justify any investigative work they do under warranty, in order to claim payment from MB! Automated fault diagnosis equipment will only find faults that it is programmed to detect and which show themselves at the time of testing, so just because it doesn't recognize a problem does not mean that it doesn't exist.

I would push this further with MB customer service and ask them to escalate the issue. You'll need to give them something to go on, so always check that the boot is properly closed and free of anything around the catch/locking area, and if it happens again, take a photo of the car as you find it, showing the vehicles around it and the weather etc. To be fair to MB though, and speaking as an electronics technician, this could be a bitch of a fault to track down!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Well actually my GLA 220 4matic had the boot open problem, it only happened once one cold winters night, actually about 2.00 a.m. My kindly neighbour hammering on my door persistently (thank goodness). So there obviously is a real issue here. Anyone get funny noises on full steering lock? I do.😕

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh oh. My boot was open when I got out to the car this morning :-(
My car is nearly 1 year old and never done this before. I will have to keep a careful watch!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,
I too am in the fault free camp, apart from the general recall for the engine seal couple of weeks after I got the car. MB couldn't have been more helpful, time to suit myself and a courtesy CLS220 full of fuel!
I have done over 20,000 hard (private) miles in my GLA220 and still love it!
I had a couple of issues with punctures and tyre wear, but with my hard driving style, I can't really blame MB for that!

·
Registered
55 Posts
We've had our GLA250 AMGline for about 14 months now, and it too has given us faultless service. With the benefit of hindsight, if we had our time over again, we would have bought exactly the same car from exactly the same dealer, with exactly the same extras. We love driving it both sedately and (very) hard, as the mood takes us :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like a few are stating to get this now. I'm going to have to keep an eye on mine. A faulty boot catch as mentioned earlier would sound plausible.

Surely a boot opening by itself wouldn't log a fault on the computer anyway? I doubt its something they are monitoring....

·
Registered
7 Posts
This has happened to me but thankfully only the once so far and luckily I was at work and a colleague told me I'd left the tailgate open. I put it down to accidentally pressing the keyfob while it was in my jeans pocket, since then I have always kept my key in my jacket and so far it hasn't happened again. I must admit that I still do go out and check that it hasn't happened again every so often.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I still experience the boot opening problem despite the vehicle going back to the dealer a number of times and eventually I had to involve Mercedes. After some backwards and forwards between them, it was agreed to go back to the dealership concerned. Now I accept that this may be a difficult problem to track down, as it is sometimes weeks between occurrences and then it can be several times in 24 hours but at last I thought some progress was being made after 12 months of experiencing the problem.

When I arrived at the dealership, the technician had told me the parts had been ordered and were available. After two days, I was told the car was ready for collection and that the software had been updated.

Well they certainly fixed it, THE BOOT DOESN'T OPEN OR CLOSE AT ALL NOW.

Well done Marshalls!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts