Mercedes GLA Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are literally dozens and dozens of GLA reviews on the net, many of which, whilst being very complimentary about the car in general, take the line that despite MB calling it their entry-level SUV, an SUV it ain't. It usually gets called a hatchback on stilts, or a just a large hatchback. Some reviewers bother to find out that the 4matic drive actually makes it rather brilliant off-road (watch some of the videos out there); others simply suppose that it'll 'obviously' be good for nothing more than normal roads in the winter.

One reviewer, however, reminds us that the 'S' in SUV stands for 'sport', and that the vast majority of so-called SUVs on sale today have nothing the slightest bit 'sporty' about them, neither in looks, handling or performance. In fact, if you take the AMG45 or the GLA250, both of which look fast and mean at a standstill, handle brilliantly when pushed, and go like the proverbial rocket on steroids, it is hard to think of a more 'sporty' SUV on the market today.

The 'utility' part of the package is obviously catered for by GLA's rugged features (e.g. large wheels, plastic arches, flat underfloor etc.), increased ground-clearance, flexible load-carrying spaces, and superb all-wheel drive capability, yet it would seem that to the man on the street, the term SUV requires nothing more for compliance than big wheels and a high ride, even if the vehicle in question handles like a supertanker and is powered by an elastic band!

Comments?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As an aside, whilst trying to find an authoritative source for the term SUV, I came across this interesting article which shows how the OED (Oxford English Dictionary - the 'Bible' for English definitions) is prepared to adapt its meanings in response to feedback > http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...rty-biker-definition/articleshow/18675471.cms

The definition that was updated last year read as follows:
"Biker: A motorcyclist, especially one who is a member of a gang: a long-haired biker in dirty denims."

The OED said when the term "biker" was used in the 60s and 70s, it described gangs of long haired, leather clad trouble makers. They generally drove at dangerously at high speeds, often to confront rival gangs elsewhere.<br style="font-size: 12px; margin: 0px; outline: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: line; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; : transparent;">
Speaking as a biker who started riding in the late 70s, I don't understand what they mean!

Yes, yes, I do actually have better things to do with my time! ...getting back to work now.

·
Registered
0 Posts
oh the memories, I started with a Honda SS50 five speed in 1978 and have had bikes ever since, currently a rather underused CB 900 Hornet, however it has more miles on it than my GLA 45 AMG!

·
Registered
8 Posts
It most definitely is a SPORTS car in AMG 45 guise.
I didn't buy it on the basis that I'd be taking it off road any time soon, and on the basis that I can fold down the seats and put stuff in the back (other than people), the "utility" bit rings true.
If I'd wanted to go off road, I would have bought a Lamborghini..... tractor!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've driven the GLA off-road and it's more than capable in either 2-4 wheel mode... the Crossover part is the mix between both road and off-road, so you get the best of both worlds... plus you can't compare it to the Golf hatchback or 205, they are totally different model positions... if you called all cars with the same boot opening 'hatchbacks' then there's a line of bigger SUV's that fall into the sector as well...

Sometimes I think reviewers have the feeling they have to say something that goes against what the manufacturer brief, so that they feel they're not seen to being suckered by the marketing blah blah... but in the case of the GLA it clearly has the right elements under the skin to handle off-road... try following one in a Golf off-road...

·
Registered
0 Posts
I would buy the GLA even if its termed a hatchback or SUV. Its just a label for me.
Most important is it should be fun to drive with good performance.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_classification ...

"A station wagon (also known as an estate or estate car [in the UK]) is an automobile with a body style variant of a sedan/saloon with its roof extended rearward over a shared passenger/cargo volume with access at the back via a third or fifth door (the liftgate or tailgate), instead of a trunk lid. Station wagons [estates] can flexibly reconfigure their interior volume via fold-down rear seats to prioritize either passenger or cargo volume."

I can't find any reference to the DVLC classifications, but the above fits the GLA.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey, a philosophical debate on a car forum.. whatever next?
"A station wagon (also known as an estate or estate car [in the UK]) is an automobile with a body style variant of a sedan/saloon with its roof extended rearward over a shared passenger/cargo volume with access at the back via a third or fifth door (the liftgate or tailgate), instead of a trunk lid. Station wagons [estates] can flexibly reconfigure their interior volume via fold-down rear seats to prioritize either passenger or cargo volume."
I think it fails the estate test.... there is no salon upon which it is based, ergo, it's not an estate?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'll wager that their software is 10 years old and hasn't been updated to know the designation "SUV"....
I guess I am glad its not been classified as a "hatchback".....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It'll only ever be an issue if estates are penalised in some way, like when the government first talked about banning or charging big 4x4 from the streets of London. They used the DVLA designation of 'Utility 4x4' as their marker, so Land Rover owners with seats in the back then tried to get their vehicles re-designated to 'Estate' on their v5's.

·
Registered
0 Posts
This is a quick pick of my 2010 Hyundai accent hatch back and my Edition 1.Yes it is insured as a SUV but as you can clearly see and to my surprise when i saw it for the first time, that this is one low cross over. So low in fact that the rear windows don'
t come tinted so they consider it a car. On the inside of driver door it also states it is a passenger car.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
SUV's have only really taken off in the UK over the last few years. Previously we took an SUV to mean a massive car that you see in the movies

The SUV has been redefined over the years to fit in with our lifestyles.
I've noticed people don't call estate cars that anymore - it's all about sporting breaks, wagons or tourers now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts