Mercedes GLA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My 220d 4matic sometimes makes a strange mechanical clicking or ratcheting noise when pulling out of junctions particularly when the junction in also on a slight incline.

At first I thought this was part of the 4matic system as it's quite deliberate and goes away at all other times.

Does anyone know what this might be? They replaced the inner cv joints but that didn't get rid of it and now talking about replacing drive shaft!

·
Registered
55 Posts
If MB are on the case and have already started replacing parts, what makes you think that any of us can help any better? It sounds to me like something to do with the ABS engaging on a wheel that is trying to negotiate a tight turn and an incline at the same time, but that's just a guess.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roytheboy - I reported this issue 6 months ago to MB and I still have the problem without a logical explaination of its cause.

I was hoping someone here may be able to help me understand the cause, in case they had experienced something similar - you know like how car forums usually work...

i don't feel any hint of declaration when it occurs, just the sound so I don't believe it's the abs engaging.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The problem at dealers with newer cars is they are often just guessing until it becomes a common fault. I agree forums can really help with that.

It does sound like a drive joint thing - I've had something like that on an older car with worn CV joint but on a new car??..

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was hoping someone here may be able to help me understand the cause, in case they had experienced something similar - you know like how car forums usually work...
Point taken - humble apologies.

I live on a hill and if I reverse up the hill, then engage drive and pull away slowly, I sometimes get a momentary graunching noise from the rear. It's only under these circumstances and never gotten worse, so I've put it down to the car's electronics holding the car on the incline (on the brakes) and then releasing it as I press the accelerator. I reckon it's a momentary struggle between the car's braking and drive systems as they decide whether they should be holding or driving the wheels.

I do wonder sometimes, if these modern 4WD systems are getting too clever for their own good!

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 220d 4matic has started doing a sort of clicking/knocking when going up multi storey car parks to the right. It is now at the dealers for investigation - will keep you informed of progress.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well the car is now back from the dealers and they have confirmed that this is a known problem and they already have one other car with the same symptoms. The solution is to replace both front driveshaft but the earliest they can get the parts from Germany is the end of January - approx. 6 weeks away.

What with the other issues - boot opening, rattles, intelligent light system, run flats tyres, this must qualify for the one of the worst cars I have had in some 40 years, 35 of them with Mercedes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Musso

Easy as you state but would entail a loss of £12k - £13k in 12 months and 12,000 miles

To my simple mind, when you pay £38k for a new car, you should be able to expect reasonable reliability. In the past year I have experienced:

- water in the headlights which then led to failure of the intelligent light system and complete replacement of all lighting units
- rattling from various places in the car involving several visits to the local dealer. The rattles still persist and the dealer is currently waiting for the parts to come from Mercedes, Germany
- almost from new, the car boot opening intermittently when parked. Once again there have been several trips to the dealer and the situation is still unresolved
- a puncture, well all cars have punctures from time to time but having the vehicle off the road for 5 days due to the non availability of run flats tyres is just not acceptable
- The front drive has started to knock going up hills and turning. This has been identified as a known problem requiring two new drive shafts, these are on order from Mercedes, Germany but there is a six week wait. Fortunately, the dealer concerned has told me it is not dangerous to continue driving the car in it's current condition

I have now got Mercedes Customer Services involved and hopefully things will start to improve but as I have stated, in 35 years of owning Mercedes, I have never experienced anything like this before.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Over the past 15years I have been fortunate enough to buy New cars, the GLA is my first Mercedes I will not receive my GLA till February but already I am concerned about the problems I have read on the club site. I do agree with David W when you pay £35k plus for a new car you expect it to be problem free. The only positive people are the ones that have received their new car yesterday ish, the positivity soon turns to concern in the form of a ratcheting noise, a boot opening, water in headlights, burning smells and more.
Where is the GLA assembled? Has Mercedes lost site of quality because of the success of the GLA & CLA, bumping them of the production line like cheaper brands. Maybe I should have asked MB more questions before I placed my order. Hope you guys get these issues fix soon,

·
Registered
55 Posts
A lot of people turn to forums when they have problems, and some people's expectations are unrealistic, in my opinion, so you are very likely to get an unbalanced view on forums like this one. That's not to say that people don't have problems, just that you don't hear about the hundreds of satisfied owners who never bother to join a forum.

I like using forums as a distraction from my isolated day job. I've had my GLA250 for over a year and I am very satisfied with it, not having had any issues or complaints apart from the fact that the auto main beam dips when you drop below about 30mph regardless of how dark or tight the turn is that you are negotiating. However, I simply switch to manual when negotiating dark twisty lanes.

The reported ratcheting noise seems to be fixable by MB but this is just one or two owners reporting the problem, out of thousands, probably. The lights misting in certain conditions is never a problem as it's only round the edges and goes quickly. The burning smell seems to be a known diesel recycling action that only happens once and is not unique to MB cars. The boot opening issue is again not a common one and even those few reporting it say they might have touched the key. So all I'm saying is to put these things into balance against the large number of GLA owners who are very happy with their cars. Alternatively, visit another forum for another make of car and see how many horror stories you find on there!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Roy

There is a lot of truth in what you say, that contented people tend not write on forums and those with problems hope to get information and support from others, so you probably don't get a "statistically correct" view in any forum.

However, the fact remains, for probably a small proportion of us the GLA has presented significant problems. Having owned Mercedes for some 35 years, I would previously been in the very contented class - that is why I have purchased so many. Against this the list of problems that I have experienced and are still experiencing (some of which have been present for 12 months now) are significant. While I have not counted the exact days the vehicle has been off the road, I would estimate it to be about 20 in a 12 month period and due to go back to the dealers again tomorrow and again at the end of January when the new drive shafts are available..

You also have to understand the potential impact of the problems concerned. On the face of it, a boot opening by itself very occasionally (probably 15-20 times in a 12 month time period and often when I have been a long way from the car, so a key has not been pressed) would seem to be a minor problem. Now consider the practical problems in reality:

1. If going shopping, can you go to multiple shops without the confidence of your earlier shopping being made available to passers by - yes this has happened
2. If going on a long trip and you need a break at the motorway services, what happens if the boot opens leaving confidential papers, etc. available to the public - this has happened too
3. You have to question your insurance position knowing that there is a problem like this
4. If as suggested on this forum I get rid of the car, call me old fashioned but I personally have a moral problem knowing the faults and not disclosing them to a purchaser?

Things may also be maturing and improving as more GLA's come on the road. I don't know if I had a puncture now whether the vehicle would be off the road for five days because no 19" run flats tyres were available a few months ago. I will know soon, I am about to order replacement tyres and hope I get a sensible answer.

Underneath the GLA problems some of us experience, I do believe there is a fine car trying to get out and that is why I have persevered with it but for how much longer, is the real question?

I am delighted that your GLA has performed so well, it would be good to have your understanding and support for those whose GLA has been more of a challenge.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You have my understanding and support David. My previous Merc, a C230, developed all sorts of problems after about five years, having previously kept Mercs longer than that without issues. After yet another four-figure bill, MB just blamed it on a particular MB plant in South Africa that is now closed down. I found that very frustrating and expensive and nearly moved away from Merc as a result. If I had suffered the problems with my GLA that you have, I too would be kicking and screaming at MB, and making sure that others know about it. I would be angry and noisy!

But none of this alters my opinion that your experience is in no way typical of all GLA owners', and that people should not consider cancelling orders because of it. I'm just trying to put things into statistical perspective, and I do sympathise with you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
An update on the driveshaft problem.

After a further three day visit to my local dealership, I enquired whether the new driveshaft parts, which were due to arrive at the end of January would be arriving on time. The answer was yes but the reason for the delay was that the previous drive shafts had been "superseded" and this was the delivery time for the new parts.

For those of you with the knocking, ratcheting sounds and are due to have the drive shafts replaced, I suggest you ensure that you get the new, updated versions

·
Registered
16 Posts
At long last the new drive shafts have arrived from Germany and have been fitted - the knocking noise has now disappeared.

Apparently the drive shafts, for the diesel versions of the GLA are different from the petrol versions and all new diesel GLA's have superseded drive shafts. It is these new drive shafts which have been retrofitted to my car. Hopefully the problem has now gone away for good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ratcheting noise from driveshaft

Thanks for the info David W, I am still awaiting installation of these replacement driveshafts - you have also provided more information than my MB dealer has, i didn't know about the superseded versions. It's an annoying problem but I don't hear ithe ratcheting very often (as you say only when turning over low speed hill crests) - it's more that my £37k 8 month old Mercedes has had a problem from new that is yet to be fixed!

In all other respects my car has been excellent and the dealer has helped me out repairing a scratch and marked alloy as a goodwill gesture.

I've agreed to get the driveshaft replaced during its annual service.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank for starting this thread!

I have the knocking noise whenever I accelerate up a hill whilst steering left or right.

I'll get it sorted at next months first service.

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Radar

Just be aware it took almost 8 weeks for the parts to arrive, Not sure whether this was down to demand (although there was another vehicle before mine at the dealership) or waiting for the redesigned part. The sooner the payer is ordered the better.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts