Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to Mercedes and received my GLA 250 3 weeks ago. For our European friends, I had to sign an agreement that I would not ship my GLA back to Europe for resell. I signed, but then I asked "Wait, why do I need to sign this?" Apparently it is a well liked car in Europe, and they want to get them on the road here in the US. I still have not seen another car like it on the road yet, here in Georgia.Mine is Cosmos Black with Ash interior, and has the Sport Package. It pretty much has all the options except the Driver Assist Package, but I did get blind side assist. The test drives did not allow me full appreciation of what the little four cylinder turbo could really do. It's a joy to drive. I'm 6'2" so it's a little challenging crawling in and out of, but that is also a factor of age too. If you are in Georgia and pass a black GLA and all you see are teeth in the windshield, it's me ....... smiling.</font>

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ken :) I'm 6'3" tall and also have a GLA250 but don't have any issues with the size. Maybe you had a *big* US truck before? I'm not sure why you had to sign anything, as I believe that we got our GLAs before you in the States. Anyway, I got my car about the same time as you and I'm still smiling, and I've only seen one other GLA outside of the showrooms here in the UK since I ordered mine many months ago.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it is a Ford F-150. The other is a Jeep Cherokee. Both sit a little higher and I'm not used to sitting so low and getting up and out with my knees. But I'll put up with it. There are plenty of GLAs to choose from here, at the moment. There are any number of reasons why MB could want to manipulate/control the market. I just thought having to sign a form was kind of strange. I considered waiting until the Lexus NX came out before I bought, but I just decided that I liked the looks of the GLA more. The turbo four market is pretty saturated here right now, with Infinity (Q30)coming out with another one in 2015. It's pretty sexy looking, but it looks smaller than the GLA, hard to tell. We don't havea 20" wheel option herebut the Sport Package has 19" AMG rims with all of the same ground effects that the GLA45 AMG has. TheGLA 250 hasan 18" fivespoke wheel as standard equipment. Our only option is the 4matic AWD and we don't have access to the diesel engine yet. So we have 2 engine options, the 208 hp turbo 4, or the AMG has a 355 hp turbo 4. Hasn't the GLA been out in Europe for a year now? They just arrived here about the first part of Nov.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm not sure exactly when the GLA started shipping in the UK but I think that most people are only now (within the last few months) starting to take delivery. WRT height: what you lose in accessibility you gain in road holding and safety at speed - the GLA is very well planted, as I'm sure you're finding out ;) I'm off to Turkey now; have fun :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know Americans, performance is how fast you get from 0 to 60, or how fast you cover a quarter mile. As I drive the GLA, performance is taking on a whole new meaning. Yes, well planted.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last time I filled up it was $3.09 for premium, regular is about 30 cents less. But your talking to someone who used to pay 19 cents a gallon, several years back. You could fill up for less than the price of a gallon today.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Ken- im still waiting for my car before i can smile. I wonder why you had to sign an agreement because the GLA is also easily available in europe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was just talking to a friend in Pennsylvania and she was telling me that she's now paying $2.86/gal.
Any chance you can send a tanker over?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gla45life: I just came back from Penn.and the prices there are still kind of high. I didn't need to fill up in South Carolina, but there is where I saw the cheapest prices. Down around $2.55 gal. is the cheapest I saw. The GLA takes premium and your still going to pay about 30 to50 cents more in most cases. I haven't seen diesel below about $3.09. I saw a bus in the news that ran on crap the other day. Of course it is methane, but hey I'm thinking Washington DC might want to work up a new energy plan. The crap in DC alone could power half the country. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Washington DC sounds a lot like London.....

But I did enjoy the meal I had there on some river or other. And the meal in Georgetown. Mind you, I was not impressed with the taxi driver who was unable to find our hotel and then blamed us for missing another fare... that said, I've had the same happen in Manchester.
Something to do with non locals driving taxis.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I wonder if the shipping to Europe clause is more to do with how cheap you get them more than the rarity in the US?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
At $33k starting price, the GLA in the US is a hell of a deal. With quite a few options, mine ended up at $42k. But the market is very competitive right now, and with the price of fuel below $2.00, the gas mileage is not an issue at the moment. It's a good time to deal on a GLA right now. But as an American, I'll admit, we can't see past our noses. As soon as American production of oil slows down, the Saudi's are going to raise the price of oil again. But beyond the price of gas and mpg, this car is so much damn fun. A full tank of gas was $35.00 yesterday. Still Smiling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yep, the Saudis are playing a long game... time for us (that's not US
) to find a good, new energy source that allows us to drive the cars we want.. (None of the "hands free" nonsense)
Hey, the price of fuel here in the UK has hit £1.05/ltr... Costs about, what, £50 to fill up. And they say it will stay that way for 3 years... here's hoping!

·
Registered
0 Posts
The plummeting price of oil is still the biggest energy story in the world right now. It's bringing back cheap gasoline to the United States while wreaking havoc on oil-producing countries like Russia and Venezuela...who gets to benefit? Seems the same old story....

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I hope it stays low for three years or more! I thought it would start creeping back up by the end of the year,
household gas and electric should now be coming down in price too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts