Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know whether a spare wheel is going to be fitted to this vehicle ? Surely ought to be provided for a vehicle of this specification - rather than a 'squirty can' !!
Having had a tyre ruined and 2 wheels badly scored in a pot-hole 12 months ago (which Hampshire county council are refusing to compensate me for !), I am very disappointed to find that no spare is provided in the new B-class I have just purchased.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that reply Karen.
I would be very interested to hear of a possible supplier of any wheel that would fit into the bay under the rear floor, particularly if it would also fit onto the B class.

·
Registered
0 Posts
The spec I have for the one I ordered says run flat tyres. Some people say these can be noisy. What is the experience. If you do not have run flats a spare wheel seems to me more than desirable

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have the runflats on 19" rims
It's not noisy, just a bit harsh on very poor road surfaces,
but a huge improvement on the 1st generation runflats

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I don't think run flats are noisy as such. Just expensive to replace when the time comes or if you get a puncture!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mercedes does actually have a space saver spare wheel for the GLA. You can also order the cover for this.

If memory serves with the spare wheel I think it comes as a kit with the jack, cotton gloves and wheel bolts (which are different from the standard wheel bolts).

If you give me a chance I will check at some point an post the part number for those interested.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I agree. They seem to have got run flats comparable to ordinary tyres in terms of noise and ride comfort. Have the 19 inch run flats on my GLA (and on a couple of Beamers). But you have to throw them away if you puncture!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Part numbers as promised:Emergency spare wheelbag it has tiedown straps to secure the spare: A0005850100Minispare: A246 400 2700 0000 (T135/90 R17 104M)Vehicle toolkit (jack etc): B66850791

·
Registered
55 Posts
The ‘no spare wheel' issue is one that annoyed the hell out of me living in mountainous terrain where punctures are common, but it's a change that is happening to most manufacturers as they try to save emissions and costs.
I looked into this after first ordering my GLA and found that MB do sell a spare wheel with cover and ties for the GLA (as posted above), as fitted in India where I assume spare wheels are mandatory. The trouble is, it takes up a vast amount of boot space, and makes access to the wheel well more troublesome. You also need to carry a jack and brace, and then you need to consider the space in the boot required to fit the punctured wheel.
When I complained about the fact that if my tire is shredded I would have to call out a tow truck, it was pointed out to me that in cases where the gunk-in-a-can does not fix the leak, one can call out the MB Mobilo-assist (or whatever it's called these days), who will make sure that you get to where you need to be, at no cost (provided you service your car regularly with MB). That does rather make things a bit easier.
I researched the issue of using the tyre gunk and found that some types of gunk (not sure if this applies to the MB cans) require a new tyre to be fitted due to chemical reactions, but they all take the repairers a lot longer to fix as they have to clean the gunk off the wheel and/or tyre. Consequently, I have bought myself a Stop-and-Go tyre plugger from the States for £22 ( http://www.stopngo.com/pocket-tire-plugger-for-all-tubeless-tires/ ), which I have used many times in my biking days (these kits are very popular among bikers as they fit under one's seat), together with disposable white overalls from B&Q at £2.50, and a fluorescent jacket for £5. Given how very easy it is to access the big wheels on a GLA, I am guessing that this little kit, together with the supplied electric air pump, will enable me to safely fix most punctures without removing the wheel or using the dreaded gunk. Obviously I may not want to lie down by the side of the car on a busy motorway, but I've always got the Mobilo option if needed :)
Edited by: roytheboy

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've recently seen a website that confirms the inclusion of a space saver for the GLA in another country but can't recall which country
If I come across it again I will post details..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for that information lads.
I did try previously to see whether I could find an advert for a secondhand one. Must try again !

Cheers

·
Registered
55 Posts
The car is way too new for secondhand spare wheels to be on the market yet! I did find a dealer that could get me the wheel and parts but it was going to work out very expensive, and the wheel takes up all of the floor space in the boot - it's not exactly an elegant solution!

I previously got this information from Alloy Wheels Direct Ltd:

Spare wheel A2464002700 £256.80 - 9+Working days
Emergency Spare wheel Bag A0005850100 £102.00 - 9+Working days
JACK A1645800218 £122.40 - 9+Working days
RATCHET A4145810049 £7.44 - 9+Working days
BAG (for the Jack) A0008992561 £18.24 - 2-5 Working days
Chock A2035830075 £6.12 - 2-5 Working days
Combination wrench A2215810001 £11.88 - 2-5 Working days

In the end, I ordered this very reasonable solution from the States, which I used to carry with me on my motorbike > http://www.stopngo.com/pocket-tire-plugger-for-all-tubeless-tires/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Roy. As you say an expensive solution - although I was aiming more at the possibility of obtaining a spacesaver spare off a wrecked vehicle [My vehicle is actually a B class so it is possible a spare on the old version might fit] !
I will follow up your tip regarding the 'tyre' plugs

Edited by: Dave Irvine

·
Registered
55 Posts
The problem with the unwanted space-saver idea (that I had too) is that not only do the bolt holes have to be the right type for MB, but the circumference has to match exactly (else it can damage the 4matic control system), the offset needs to be right for the vehicle, and the wheel itself needs to clear the brake calipers. I've no doubt that before too long someone will produce an affordable product that is designed for the GLA, but at the moment you'll just waste the same amount of time as I did, looking for one. I fear that it ain't going to happen just yet!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts