Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're thinking of taking a trip through the Scottish highlands this summer. Does anyone have any advice on the best routes to take or places to visit?
I wouldn't mind taking in some decent driving roads too - I don't necessarily mean ones I can hoon around but scenic, quiet roads.
If anyone has done it before I would love to hear from you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
We did a run a couple of years back in a camper van that would also suit the GLA very well, we went up to Glasgow then towards Oban via the A85. After that we headed up north on the A828 to Fort William along the edge of Loch Linnhe, then further up to Invergarry where we turned west onto the A87 to the Kyle of Lochalsh (famous castle from Highlander movie, etc). From there you can take two routes, the really small coast road round to Stromeferry via Badicaul, Erbusaig, Drumbuie and Plockton (well worth visiting), or you can backtrack from the Kyle to Auchtertyre and then take the A890 upto Stromeferry. After this you keep following the A890 to Strathcarron where you turn onto the A896. This road is real fun for a good car (not so great for a campervan though as we found out), it takes you all the way up to Shieldaig and Loch Torridon, great scenery and really wild. Keep on the A896 to Kinlochlewe, then take the A832 north past Talladale, Loch Maree, Gairloch to Poolewe and Lochdudh. Stay on the road to Drumchork and round past Gruinard Bay, you'll pass through many small beautiful villages as the road curves back round past Little Loch Broom before winding up at the A835 junction (at the Corrieshalloch nature reserve). From here you can then run back down the A835 to join the A9 at Tore, which then takes you back to Inverness. From Inverness we took the A82 down past Loch Ness, Fort Augustus and Fort William. Stay on the A82 and you go through Glencoe towards the Bridge or Orchy and Tyndrum to Crianlarich. Here you can choose to either head back to Glasgow via the A82 south, or continue east towards Perth via the A85 (and then onto Edinburgh etc). We did it in 7 days with a few stops, plenty to see and very wild and remote in some places. Even though we were in a camper tank I made a mental note to come back with a good car (SUV or 4x4) as some of the roads really were great for driving like this. Only work of advice is to take two jerry cans of gas as the filling stations are far and few between, plus then are only open when somebody is at home... which isn't the same as normal opening hours... hope the above is useful... have fun!

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
That sounds like a really good trip and something I would quite like to do at some point. It's amazing how much of the UK I still have yet to see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts