Mercedes GLA Forums banner

Sat nav

34K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Rocklandbloke 
#1 ·
Bought a new gla 220 but reluctantly didn't take the sat nav package, how could I go about getting one not paying a dealers extortionate price?

#3 ·
I'm in the same boat, thought £400+ for an SD card a bit extortionate, especially with a normal sat nav costing about £150 or so, and even cheaper/ free apps on the phone. With the iphone/ apple play function, I've been led to believe by my salesman that I can easily use google maps from my iphone via the screen, or any other satnav app that runs on the phone. This brings me to why I came to this thread - does anyone who doesn't have the sat nav SD card, run any recommended app for speed/ safety camera alerts (my old Juke and RAV both had this feature as part of the sat nav)?

many thanks

#18 ·
I'm in the same boat, thought £400+ for an SD card a bit extortionate, especially with a normal sat nav costing about £150 or so, and even cheaper/ free apps on the phone. With the iphone/ apple play function, I've been led to believe by my salesman that I can easily use google maps from my iphone via the screen, or any other satnav app that runs on the phone. This brings me to why I came to this thread - does anyone who doesn't have the sat nav SD card, run any recommended app for speed/ safety camera alerts (my old Juke and RAV both had this feature as part of the sat nav)?

many thanks
I have used this site in the past and have always found them to be accurate and reliable - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

#10 ·
Picked up one on ebay for £50, worked first time. Only downside is that it doesn't come with speed camera alerts, apparently Mercedes have disabled the function as they illegal in Germany & France.

Anyone tried enabling them by adding a POI fiel to the SD card? If so, what file did you use, and where did you get it?

thanks

#12 ·
So got the SD card from ebay, worked for about a day, then the appleplay system started misbehaving, the controls wouldn't work, the navi screen kept hanging or saying that there was no SD card to read etc. Took it out, the appleplay started working again. Seller sent me a replacement straight away, same thing, worked a day and a half before everything started hanging again. He's sending me a third SD to arrive today, and offered a full refund if it still doesn't work. I'm starting to think that there's an issue with the appleplay system rather than the SD cards though.

To be honest, not that impressed with the appleplay system at all. Google maps won't work other than sound, Apple maps says there's no internet connection when there is a clear 4G connection. With the phone connected by cable, the appleplay jumps and starts things randomly - was driving yesterday listening to the radio and it randomly started dialling a phone number from the day before - no interaction from me, hands not close to any of the controls (both on the steering wheel at the time).

Anyone else had similar issues?

#13 · (Edited)
I had my GLA broken into a couple of days ago, they smashed the front passenger window and stole the Becker Map Pilot from the glovebox. Apparently there have been dozens of similar thefts around the Coventry area for a few weeks now.
After shelling out £75 excess for the replacement window I am a bit loathe to claim and part with another £200 excess to get another Becker and increasing my insurance premiums at the same time.
These SD cards from ebay seem to be worth considering, has anyone else had a duff one yet?

#17 ·
The only SD cards I have seen on eBay are for the Garmin Map Pilot satnavs which seem to have replaced the Becker that is fitted in my GLA, I think the only way of upgrading an old Becker is to pay around £90 to Becker for a latest maps download. The big problem with that is that these devices do not work very well with Mac's and I don't have any Windows devices! (Pretty shoddy from Becker and I can see why they have been replaced by Garmin).

Bulb, it seems the number of break-ins of Mercs in this area coincided with a group of travellers who had set up nearby and the problem seems to have receded locally, too late for me though. :frown2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.