Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking myGLA up country into rural Issan for the next week. My first experience of a lengthy trip. I know this is a UK forum but still may be of interestToday did 7 hours mainly dual carriageways. Car behaved beautifully. In the mountains tried sports mode but seemed to end up high revving in 5th gear rather than in 6th or 7th even though the extra power was obvious. Prefer econ mode and a judicious depression on the throttle. Maybe I will get used to sports modeTends to run pretty hot although not into the red zone. Admittedly the temp outside was up to 39C and I was running the air con. Actually this tends to be the case even about townHas the acceleration to overtake and avoid problems when pick ups veer into the lane ahead. Thai driving needs a lot of concentration but, fingers crossed, I felt fine.In the next few days more rural driving, dirt roads and stuff. Most Thais here will use a pick up as they are suited to these rough conditions but I think the GLA will do fineWill let you know how things pan out

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sounds good. With regards to the revs and gearing, as far as I know, most of the apparent extra power comes from the gearing changes, in that a lower gear for a given road speed means that the higher revs are keeping the engine within its optimum power-band. If you have a turbo on your car, the turbo will also be boosting more at the higher revs. Whilst I'm sure that the engine mapping will be altered when you hit the 'sport mode' button, I would have thought that the gearbox mapping changes will be responsible for most of the apparent increase in power. The downside is higher revs, but you can't have your cake and eat it, as they say.

·
Registered
0 Posts
That sounds like an exciting trip, certainly more than my usual trip down the motorway. If you stop off anywhere make sure you take some pictures.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very much!For the last week I the car has been in the garage getting a couple of very small linear dents in the rear driver's side door removed. One was my fault, turning right at a car park and catching the electronic reader which was positioned for the driver's window. The other I do not know, I guess a motor cycle handle bar. The paintwork was not damaged, but the metal must be quite soft as it did form a small dentAnyhow back to the trip. Absolutely excellent. It was what I bought the car for. 2500km on roads varying from motor way equivalent to dirt roads. Superb comfort and insulation. Excellent acceleration on country roads to get past slow moving buses and trucks. Lovely in the mountains tooOnly drawbacks but not serious:Black car quickly got covered in red dust even on inside of doorsBig vibration on some dirt roads as they have small ruts at right angles to the wheelsI guess made by tractor tracksAir con struggled with temperatures usually above 40C especially whenstarted after being leftin temple car parks. Others always got the shady spots firstOne night it rained heavily and the hard packed earth I parked it on quickly turned into a quagmire. Wheels spinning as I tried to reverse out but by gently going forward on to firmer ground and then reversing I got out of trouble. AWD may have helped thereSteering very light and comfortable except when going in a straight line where I feel I have to hold it on course. Checked tyre pressures and tracking seems OK as it actually goes straight if I release my hands from the steering wheel. Maybe it is the uneven camber in the roadsFuel economy not as great as I would have liked, probably not much more than 12km/L and I rarely drive more than 100 kph. I use premium petrol as advised rather than biofuels. Good thing it only costs about 60-65p per litre. I do not know what it is in the UK nowStill love the car and I really realise how comfortable it is during this week when I have been driving a small Suzuki. Cannot wait to get it back

1 - 5 of 5 Posts