Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving a friend home last night as I reversed to do a 3 point turn I had the following message "reversing not poss. Consult workshop" considering the time there was nothing I could do I stopped put the car into drive so I could pull off of the road the car jerked a little then the message cleared and all was fine
. Knowing no dealer / workshop would be answering calls at 10:30 I drove home (about 4 miles) slowly and carefully as you'd imagine, when I pulled into my road the engine warning light came on local dealership isn't open till 11 on a Sunday any ideas as to what the problem could be ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I haven't a clue what the problem is, but I do know what you could have done had you not wanted to drive on last night. Every Merc comes with something called MB Mobilo, which covers you for all roadside assistance situations for up to 30 years as long as the car is regularly serviced at an MB garage. This is an intro > http://www.mercedes-benzretailgroup...benz-roadside-assistance/mercedes-benz-mobilo It covers you for an amazing amount of situations and 'extras' like the continuation of your journey to anywhere in Europe. I've used the service once, many years ago, and they were with me within the hour and sorted the issue out there and then (could not select a gear, which came down to a pedal cam that had shifted out of position). Had you called them last night, if they could not fix it there and then, they would have taken you home, then taken the car to a garage, then delivered it back again after it was fixed. You also would have been given a courtesy car.

As to the reversing problem ...that's worrying!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers mate, tbh i just wanted to get home probably not the smartest thing to do but yeah... i called the merc road side assist and they were actually very good ( ive read elsewhere that mb customer service is poor ) they sent a guy out this morning he identified the fault ( software update needed for the gearbox i believe ) unfortunately this can only be sorted in a dealership. So he called me a courtesy car in from europcar which were also very helpful but a little slow but hey 2 hours later i was in a brand new C class, now the only problem i have is i may have fallen a little bit in love with the C Class
new command system takes a little getting used to but soooo many gadgets. Ah almost forgot mb also offered to pay for a cab to pick the car up as the delivery time was a little slow so all in all im pretty happy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I didn't think Mobilo covers you from home, but it sounds like they came up trumps for you - I'm pleased. As for MB customer service, whilst I had some reliability issues over my last C-Class (blamed on a particular model built in South Africa), I have always, in all my years, found MB customer service to be exemplary. And with regards to the new C-Class, are there many gadgets that you couldn't order for your GLA?

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
It is a common fault, different solutions though - they includechecking the the earth points for poor connection, software updates or even a new gearbox (that must be an extreme example though).
Reading on the other Merc forums sometimes the issues just never comes back.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Also I note that the Roadside Assistance cover has dropped down a year from 2015 onwards:

1 January 2015 - present Three years from date of registration: Technical breakdown, accident assistance, minor mishap and vandalism / attempted theft
1 April 2008 - 31 December 2014 Four years from date of registration: Technical breakdown, accident assistance, vandalism / attempted theft and minor mishap

·
Registered
55 Posts
As long as you have your car serviced when the car tells you it needs a service, Mobilo runs for 30 years. I think that's a fair deal.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Only 30 years?? I hope I can still drive when I'm 94. Sounds like a wonderful service,the site you link to seems to be Euro only. I wonder if there is a USA equivalent program. I know a guy (lives in Las Vegas)who goes every Saturday and gets a free car wash at the dealership. I wonder if that is because he always gets it serviced at MB.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Back to the dealer ... since the gearbox update the car just dosnt seem to be driving right, at low speeds the changes are jerky and there is definitely a lack of response under acceleration. I dont drive it like a lunatic but i cant seem to get more than 23/24 mpg

·
Registered
0 Posts
I can tell you that its not a like for like comparison, I had an ML 320 CDi Sport and traded up for the GLA 45 AMG. So lost the "elevated driving position" which was great, lost the big boot, but also lost the thirst and the tax and ever increasing repair costs. I moved from a £470 per year insurance to £230!!!, a much lower road tax rate, better fuel economy, (believe it or not) and a car that is as a fast as a Porsche 911 GT3 and still has four wheel drive to get you out of basic trouble.Down sides, build quality - not quite as good, vision not as good, limited headroom in rear, but... easier to park, and even if it was a 220 CDI version, quicker, better driving quality and economically in a different league. So not a great comparison, yes I would have another ML, I loved it but I also adore the GLA.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
since my last post the gla has been back to mercedes again displaying symptoms of a slipping clutch just had a call from them saying its undergone another update for the gearbox software ... lets hope its 3rd time lucky

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Back in again unfortunately
Having more electrical issues both rear tail lights failed at exactly the same time but wasnt the bulbs as in the morning the fault had cleared.
Ive also had issues with distronic bleeping on open clear roads it also carried out an emergency stop whilst in slow moving traffic. I was paying attention there was enough of a gap ( could see both rear tyres of the car in front and plenty of tarmac )
Im absolutely gutted the car has now been in 4 times regarding electrical faults I love the car but I cant put up with this where do I go from here

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
following on from my previous posts ...

The car was recovered again in September 2015 by the selling dealer following a request for a vehicle rejection under the sale of goods act. Despite my previous issues all being electrical i was told that for a rejection to take place the selling dealer should be given the opportunity to fix the problem. I received the car back in late December 2015 after some software updates and new number plate surround that had to be shipped from Germany in order to fix the distronic problem. finally all seemed to be sorted. On the 18th of august 2016 I took the car for its 2nd year service and all was good until the 4th of September driving on the a1001 towards the galleria approaching a roundabout the car lost seemingly all power with ESP, TC, and hill decent control warnings flashing. I managed to limp into the shopping centre car park the warning lights still going crazy and the car had developed a strange idle that can be heard in the link below.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKD1LQLANFK/?taken-by=t13rnd

I dpnt mean to come on here to have a moan but im stuck. I have contacted customer care who have been very helpful in terms of getting the car looked at every time and keeping me mobile. However i feel like i simply cannot depend on this car. I love the GLA and Mercedes cars in general but this has really taken the shine off for me. Reading into my rights in terms of a rejection it states that this should be done sooner rather than later but due to the nature of the faults i cannot predict or anticipate them given that im now 2 years into this car im wondering if i stand a chance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts