Mercedes GLA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!!
I'm about to purchase a gla here in the uk and am researching a **** of a lot as you'd imagine, and have heard some gla models (not sure which) have Renault engines:surprise:
Can anyone shed any light on this please?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think it's the 1.5 diesel and petrol engines are versions of a Renault unit and Nissan unit. Presumably Mercedes has tweaked them for their needs.

Mercedes and Renault also team up on cars - the Smart car and Twingo are using the same platform.

·
Registered
17 Posts
REALLY!!
Mercedes is using engines from Renault!?!? You buy a prestige marque and the most important part of the car is made by Renault.
I found it quite bad that mini(bmw) uses Peugeot engines as mine just kept going wrong.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Lots of engine sharing going on, its the only way manufacturers can make some models viable.

I must admit mind, it would be better if Mercedes built the engines and sold them to Renault.... Unless if they would then be too expensive for them?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been doing a bit of digging around, and it seems the smaller engines (1.6) are Renault and Nissan team up, for the a class and the gla (not marketed here in the u.k)!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
5 Posts
My last 2 vehicles have both been B class with diesel engines and automatic gearboxes. The first was a B 180CDI (A) Spt Line and the current one is a B 200 d AMG Line.

I must say I was rather disappointed with the performance of the previous one, a particular problem being the failure to change down when expected (sometimes leading to some rather 'hairy' situations when turning across oncoming traffic !). Although I had it tested at the dealership nothing could be resolved (they did confirm it was a Renault engine and felt that the adjustment of the automatic gearbox ratios was not particulalry successful !) and I was very happy to move on to the current vehicle.

This has provided to be a revelation and I would certainly recommend that the increased cost is well worth it. :grin2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts