Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a letter about a safety recall of the GLA, I received one this morning. Apparently there is a timing chain tensioner issue which can cause oil to leak or possible ignition of the leaking oil.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I saw the post about the vosa list a few days ago, can you post a copy of the letter on here please, I've rung the dealer and waiting for a call back

·
Registered
0 Posts
So... How does this recall system work? Because they've identified the problem will the dealership you bought the GLA from fix the problem or will you have to send it back to the factory?
Cheers!

·
Registered
55 Posts
As with all vehicle recalls, problems are always fixed at the garage. If it takes time, they should give you a courtesy car to use. Recalls are common to all makes, especially when a model is new. Also, you shouldn't have to visit any specific dealership - they should be able to deal with any problem at any dealership in any country, provided they know you're coming.

·
Registered
0 Posts
It's been on the VOSA website for a few weeks. My GLA 220cdi went in to the dealer for the recall on Monday. It affects MB 4cyl diesels built in 2014. A new oil seal needs to be fitted. Didn't seem like a big deal and I got a nice MB commuter mug as a thank you/apology. Also took the opportunity to have a rattle from the sunroof sorted.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I sure hope so! I checked after your post and booked in straightaway (but for the work to be done after I came back from a trip abroad). The MB letter came a week or two after had I booked it in. Nothing strange in a recall: most of my recent cars have had one or more. My BMW Z4 had one last year that applied to all, then recent, BMW petrol engines.

·
Registered
0 Posts
They couldn't find anything specific but they "treated the seals and lubricated the mechanism". It hasn't cured it completely but it's now only there on v. rough roads rather than most of the time. The dealer said they would be happy to have another go, so I'll probably wait until it next goes in (hopefully only for a service) unless it gets any worse. Rattle seemed to come from the centre of the roof beam, so it might be a roof off job.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Had mine fixed today ; call the dealership and book in - free of charge !! Just have to take along your recall letter as they obviously are reclaiming costs from MB. I was told mine was fine but replaced anyway as a precaution- they told me some cars with the fault had to have whole engine replaced so don't delay

·
Registered
0 Posts
Had recall work done but dealership gave me nothing in writing to confirm it had been carried out. Should I have had something from them? Anybody else had a proper / written confirmation?

·
Registered
55 Posts
All the (digital) records for your vehicle are kept by MB, and these will include every detail about your car's life from production to the last time it ever sees the inside of an MB garage. It follows, therefore, that your car's records will now show the engine work as having been carried out. The days of having to keep paper records of services and such like are long gone.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
roytheboy said:
All the (digital) records for your vehicle are kept by MB, and these will include every detail about your car's life from production to the last time it ever sees the inside of an MB garage. It follows, therefore, that your car's records will now show the engine work as having been carried out. The days of having to keep paper records of services and such like are long gone.
Until you come to sell it in which case I have no idea how you prove it's been serviced correctly?

·
Registered
55 Posts
79Fiat said:
Until you come to sell it in which case I have no idea how you prove it's been serviced correctly?
Well if you're going to sell it privately then obviously you should make sure you don't lose your service booklet. Anyone buying a Merc is going to know that anything requiring recall action is going to be done if there's a service stamp after the recall date, but if you're still concerned, why not ring the service department and ask for a written record - it should only take a minute or two.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts