Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what your current car is and why you want a GLA?
I've changed from a C-Class - really looking forward to a few years of ownership with the GLA.

·
Registered
0 Posts
From C-Class coupe.
Mrs wanted an SUV, but I think they are not ideal for UK roads, especially London.
The GLA was the perfect answer.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Coming from a Nissan 350Z. Tired of having a 2-seater + planing for increasing the family with the Mrs!

Ordered a GLA 45 AMG for March 2015!

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool - you're going to be our first GLA 45 owner! Lots of pics and comments please, looking forward to hearing all about it.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ps - I'm coming from a BMW X1. Quality not that great compared to other BM's and new one still way off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Changed from a Lexus GS 300... wanted an SUV (kids and dog, plus live in the country) but also had to have petrol (to avoid tax hikes on diesels in 2015), plus the car had to be sporty and drive well... was stuck between the GLA and the CLA as I was nearly tempted by the saloon, but it wasn't viable for the dog so went with the GLA... so far I'm happy with my choice (except for the noisy petrol engine)...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Changed from a Lexus GS 300... wanted an SUV (kids and dog, plus live in the country) but also had to have petrol (to avoid tax hikes on diesels in 2015), plus the car had to be sporty and drive well... was stuck between the GLA and the CLA as I was nearly tempted by the saloon, but it wasn't viable for the dog so went with the GLA... so far I'm happy with my choice (except for the noisy petrol engine)...
Hi [email protected]

Do you have a 200 or 250. My 250 is very quiet. Too quiet at times. Edited by: NTT

·
Registered
12 Posts
@NTT: I've got a GLA 200 petrol... there's a part just at the top of the engine that has a rubber sound guard that is where the noise comes from, like a clicking sound... I'm trying to find another GLA 200 petrol engine to listen to the sound, the test drive model was quiet but Merc technicians say that as the part isn't broken or faulty they don't have to change it... so I'm trying to find others with either the same engine fault or engines that sound quieter (as normal) to prove my point to MB...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Enjoy it mate!! Waiting for your first impressions of it

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've owned C-Classes for many years, and a 190e before that. My last car was a C230 V6 with all the trimmings. However the size of the new C Class is too big for the internal garage in my new house, so I had took elsewhere. I live in mountainous terrain so 4WD is a must in winter, and now the kids are both at uni, the back seats hardly ever get used.

This all led me to look at compact SUVs but so many manufacturers only sell diesels, which I did not want, and too many models lack any sporty prowess. I drive quite sedately most of the time but being an ex-racer I occasionally like to put my foot down when the conditions allow, and I also need to be able to overtake tractors and slow tourists very quickly (i.e. safely) on short stretches of country roads. This all pointed to one car: the GLA250 4matic AMG line (silver), and I am not disappointed.

I've never owned a hatchback before and am still getting used to the sound of a straight-4 engine after the ultra-smooth V6, but the GLA is just so darnn comfortable and easy to drive that I'm bowled over by just how good this new car is. The automatic lighting that dips the lights and changes shape to suit the traffic has to be seen to be believed, and the command sat nav with voice control is fab. The automatic parking is a hoot to impress friends, and the seats with their lumbar support are absolutely ideal for my spinal implants following major surgery (I never thought I'd be able to sit in a car again for more than an hour at a time, but these leather AMG line seats have given me a new lease of motoring life).

If you own a C Class and are considering a GLA, don't think you'll have to take a drop in comfort levels - take a GLA250 AMG line for a test drive and see what you think :)

BTW, the GLA 45 was beyond my budget and seems too extreme for my new life in the country.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The NX is slower, heavier, and looks like a transformer to me, plus it's much more expensive for what you get when compared to Merc (like for like)... so it was an easy choice... you either like the NX or hate it's design...

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I actually like the design of the NX but I don't like hybrids and I don't know why Lexus insist on making them virtually their only option.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@ tigger: It's Lexus's powertrain of choice, they invested heavily in it at Toyota and made it their own with the Prius (even though it was designed originally by a Mr Porsche)... so they're now on the fifth generation hybrid system and it doesn't look like changing soon unless they can get the hydrogen hybrid on line (then zero petrol use)... plus the US market likes big engines for luxury cars and the only current way of reducing CO2/petrol use on a 3-4 liter engine is to add a hybrid system...

I've driven every type of Lexus hybrid on the road and test track and they are really powerful compared to a petrol only system. The good part about Lexus hybrid is the drive motor (electric), this adds a powerful boost to acceleration on the 4+ liter engines like a turbo (with a higher torque and longer range). But the down side is the lack of 'feeling' in the drive, which can be a little remote which reduces the feel of the road and the driving dynamic... hybrids are not really a drivers car...

As for the NX, you either love the distinctive lines or hate them, there's no middle ground... but it will sell well for them as it's targeted towards younger drivers who like luxury brands... so there's a fight between the GLA and NX to see who captures the consumers interests... and having driven both (petrol and hybrid) I still prefer my GLA...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts