Mercedes GLA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello out there.
I have a 250 GLA and on the dash there is a permanent display. In the manual it shows temperature on the left and time on the right. In my car it shows km/h on the left and time on the right. As km/h are not very interesting in the UK I have tried to change it without any luck.
Yes. I have read the manual, but the options it shows in order to make the change are not available in my car. The display sometimes shows temperature on apart of the display, but I would find mph or temperature more useful.
Anyone have a similar issue, and more importantly a solution?
Steve

·
Registered
0 Posts
Steve,

Assuming that you are buying a UK spec version which I believe will not (by default) allow your to change the permanent display to show anything other than KM/h. This is apparently to do with complying with EU regulations about being able to show KM/H for the rare occasion when taking your car to mainland Europe as the normal speedometer is in MPH.

From my google research and postings on other mercedes forums, I believe you can ask the dealer to enable this using their STAR computer interface to modify the cars computer and enable the ability to display MPH, KMH or the outside temperature. Note, that the dealer may charge a fee to do this to confirm that they are doing this at the owners request. They may also refuse to do it so you may need to try different dealers as some do and other don't.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous that we cannot change this as mercedes have misinterpreted the EU regulation and won't admit to it. Most of us UK owners will spend the majority of our time if not all of it in the UK and it's really annoying that we can't change the display to our choosing.

I hope this information clarifies your query as the users guide is unhelpful on this matter,

Bhavin

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bhavin, and yes it is a UK spec.
So the manual is correct but the implement is faulty. How very un-German.
It is even more daft as there is a digital speedo that you can switch from kph to mph. C'est la vie as they say somewhere.
Love the car: good choice
Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Currently I have a B class and was equally frustrated by the KMH display.
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253; ">
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253; ">I have overcome that by using the button on the steering wheel (Up/Down on the left) by which you can have the MPH displayed in the middle of that screen.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is an infuriating aspect to MB's interpretation of the EU rules, which clearly state that a switchable kph/mph display must be fitted, not a permanent one. But MB's rules is MB's rules so you are very unlikely to find any dealer who will go against those rules and alter this display for you. This is nothing new; it was like it on my previous C Class too. However, as stated, the GLA does have a switchable option to display the digital MPH front and centre of the dash, so as long as you don't want to see other selections, you can leave this display in MPH.
As an aside, in case you can't find the outside temperature gauge, it's shown in the centre display, above the gear indicator, when you have the basic trip counter showing. For all of Merc's fantastic engineering, these two user interface issues are frustratingly bad.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for that, it's a bit annoying showing km/h.
I might try the dealer to get the outside temp (or Mph) - it may be fruitless, but worth a try.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Good luck - let us know what they say. If you're desperate, there is an 'indi' engineer with a STAR system, mentioned on another MB forum, who will apparently alter your display for a price (around £40 I seem to remember). I just don't see it as such a bit issue with the GLA now that I can have the MPH front-and-centre with a few clicks of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hi Just got my GLA 220 AMG Line on Thursday and still playing with the multitude of menu options.Re Outside Temperature display I am also amazed that this cannot be altered to replace the KPH display.Yesterday I did see an outside temperature displayed somewhere but can't find it today. Can anyone please tell me if, where and how this can be seen.Also disgusted that there is no jack supplied. I rang my dealer yesterday having seen scissor jacks on Amazon at less that £25 to be told that Mercedes want £180 - can you believe thatRegards
Tony - Plymouth

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome Tony :)

The outside temperature is shown when the centre display between the two main dials (speed and revs) is in the default mode i.e. when the car's millage is being displayed. Why they didn't make that a permanent display in every mode, God only knows, but at least it's there.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Thanks for that explanation - I thought I was going mad. Wouldn't it be nice if we could make it permanent in place of the KPH - bet Brussels had something to do with that LOL
Regards
Tony

·
Registered
55 Posts
I explained MB's reasoning six posts up, which is, as you suggest, down to Brussels!

The jack issue is because there is no spare wheel, which is sadly now standard practice with most cars. This is, they say, to reduce emissions, which a cynic might say is also to save costs. Either way, that is the way all car manufacturers are now going. I have posted elsewhere about how I deal with this, if you search for 'gunk' you should find it. If you have no spare wheel then you obviously don't need a jack and brace! But all is not lost, as if you are unable to get the car going again by using your gunk (or a repair kit if you follow my advice), then phone the Mobilo number, tell them that you are unable to continue your journey because the tyre is too damaged, and they 'should' come and tow you (at no cost) to a dealer who can fix your tyre.

My post > http://www.glaownersclub.co.uk/forum/spare-wheel_topic50_post548.html#548

Edited by: roytheboy

·
Registered
0 Posts
Thanks again, It's just a fad of mine that from time to time I do take a wheel off and give the backs of the wheels and surrounding areas a good clean (yes - very sad) I have just traded in my Lexus that had the same Gunk system but did supply a jack. I purchased a full size wheel for that one and had a carry bag made locally and used to take this on long journeys behind the passenger seat. it was also useful when I kerbed a wheel and rused it whilst the damaged one was being refurbished

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Well since it's always cold in the UK I have no need for a temperature gauge! Always have a coat and jumper in the boot ready.

(It was 10c yesterday!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts