Mercedes GLA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - If anyone has had a similar experience or has any knowledge of this issue would be grateful for whatever feedback you may have.

I placed a Customer Order (with a Deposit paid by Credit Card) for a GLA45 with Premium Pack , including Panoramic Sunroof, in early June 2014. However, the MB Dealer has not yet been able to enter a Factory Order for this car because MB has placed a "restriction" on ordering the car with this pack ("restriction" seems to be German for "block").

MB (both the Dealer and Customer Services) are unable to tell me the reason for the "restriction" and will not give me any estimate as to when it will be lifted. Hence I have absolutely no idea when I might (or might not) eventually to take delivery.

If anyone reading this is thinking of buying a GLA, and a pano roof is important to you, you might want to check this issue out with your MB Dealer before placing your order.

Thanks in anticipation of any feedback.

·
Registered
0 Posts
If you are getting nowhere with the dealer I would ring mb direct on the 0800 number on the website they are very helpful, tell them you want to know rough dates or threaten to take back the deposit should help.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hi - my new GLA came through a month ago, fortunately with the panoramic sunroof.
Shame there seems to be a problem ordering one, as I wouldn't be without it, it just makes the inside of the car much lighter and roomier. Looks great too.
Well worth persevering, so good luck with that.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I ordered mine through the Diplomatic Sales department. I'm still waiting to hear back on what the situation is, but the staff have been very helpful with it all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have been driving my GLA with Pano roof for over 3 months now round Europe, great for flexibility and use. The kids love it for the back seat as it offers light in and can also be useful with the sun shade when watching movies on the entertainment system. In the front area you get a good space above your head when it's closed or open...
It also makes the car look better than a hard roof, I chose this over the audio upgrade, which was a good choice as the standard audio is great...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Car arrived on Monday very pleased and agree with previous comments that sunroof makes car much lighter inside. The one I test drove seemed very dark inside.

I've also got the carplay accessory and whilst this does work there a couple of things I was hoping it would also allow, ie ability to text standard messages, you can tweet and share them on Facebook so why not send to. A phone number within your address book

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Yeah that seems a strange one to miss out, maybe in this day and age no one texts but just tweets instead?!
Or is it only compatible with certain phones? I can't find much info about it online.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Anyone reading this who might be interested - there appears to be a few on Auto Trader now, delivery or very low miles, most with Pano roofs.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Yes seems strange Ive pinged Mercedes customer support a email.

Couple of other things ive noticed according to the online information you should be able to stream video to the screen when stationary but I dont seem to be able to do this.

Also seems to be a problem reading the twitter stream if its got too many entries but Im not sure why so again Ive pinged customer support as I suspect going into my dealer will be of no benefit

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hiwe have been to a dealer today to enquire about a new GLA45, and were also told that any cars ordered for nov dec jan build are not able to be spec'd with a Pano Roof as the supplier has "run out"

·
Registered
0 Posts
Interesting thread.
To those with pano roofs, do they fit together properly - at the point where the front part meets the rear, along the line where the seal is? I've viewed two cars at a dealer (both GLA45s) and neither fitted properly - issue was that the curve of the sunroof part didn't match the curve of the fixed rear section - this will allow leakage in the rain and also potentially create wind noise.
Having only seen two panos I'm put off specifying one, or making an offer on either of the cars I've viewed with the panos.
I'm wondering if the halt on ordering the pano option is to do with quality as opposed to availability....
<div id="TMPwmDiv"><div id="UMS_TOOLTIP" style=": ; cursor: pointer; : 2147483647; : transparent; top: -100000px; left: -100000px; -: initial initial; -repeat: initial initial;">< ="text/">.tmid_modified { background: #E4F1FD !important; border: 1px solid #3385D6 !important; } .tmid_modifying { background: #E4F1FD !important; }

·
Registered
8 Posts
EEeek. I have the panoramic roof; it makes the car lighter inside, it fits.... I have not had any issues with it yet. If I do, there will be trouble.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a pano roof and it's great :) The rear of the front section is slightly higher than the front of the rear section, but it is an exactly even difference across the width of the car and there is no movement in it whatsoever. In terms of aerodynamics, it is better to have a slight step down at the rear of the front section than it is to have a step up, as the air spilling over will 'suck' down and pull the rest of the flow with it. I'm probably not explaining this very well but I know what I mean and it's all good. The main reason that I got the pano roof is because I don't like the black interior roof lining as it makes the inside look 'heavy', but the pano roof makes everything much more airy and spacious. It also looks the business from outside the car :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Further to above, I knew what I meant about the slight step down in the glass heights aiding the aerodynamic flow, but I've had to look it up to remind myself of stuff I learnt about decades ago. As I understand it - and I'm no expert - the step down would create a region of low pressure immediately behind the step, which would aid the reattachment of the laminar flow just behind that. It's all about controlling the laminar boundary layer through suction. If the step was an upwards one, the opposite would happen, causing a ridge of turbulence that would break the boundary layer at that point.

The bottom line: that step in the glass heights is probably there by design.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My dealer showed me that the pano roof resets itself during driving, the faster you go the roof drops down slightly to give better aerodynamics... drive around town and the roof sits in it's normal position... it's the same system as in the CLA and the new A Class pano roofs...

·
Registered
55 Posts
That's very interesting - I wonder why it doesn't just sit tight, so to speak, in 'stationary' mode. Why go to all the trouble of altering the height at speed? I shall have to investigate because now I am intrigued to know what it's all about

·
Registered
55 Posts
My dealer showed me that the pano roof resets itself during driving, the faster you go the roof drops down slightly to give better aerodynamics... drive around town and the roof sits in it's normal position... it's the same system as in the CLA and the new A Class pano roofs...
Hang on; are you talking about the roof height adjusting with speed when its open or closed? I'm talking about there being a small step down when it's closed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My open roof only moves position depending on what speed I'm doing, but when it's closed it sits flush with the front roof line... there's only the rubber line across that's visible... and it doesn't move unless opened...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ah, right; I thought as much. But it's the fit between the rear of the front glass section and the front of the rear glass section that - I think - sb272 is drawing attention to. Does your AMG45 have a slight step in height between the two?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts