Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at an event on Saturday where the parking was on avery wet grassy field. Stuck the GLA (a 220 4Matic) in it's "off-road programme" and off the tarmac we dropped.
The other cars were having quite a slip-slidey time and some needed a push. By leaving time conditions had got a bit stirred up and a number of cars needed a tow from the organisers 4x4 pickup. However the GLA was boring, very very boring, and it was just like we were driving across a compacted gravel car-park.
The accelerator was noteably less-sensitive and a good stab on it didn't cause anything to happen which is what I expected, but reassuring to experience none-the-less. I can only assume, given the sure-footed nature of the GLA, that having been put into "off-road mode" the various sensors were doing their job of checking for wheel spin and braking that wheel to put power to the others stopping any spin/slide.
Was only a brief test but left me impressed.Obviously it's never going to be as capable as my series Land Rover off-road but it's not for that and nor do I need it to be. I do however often leave the tarmac for unmade tracks, parking in fields etc. and that's why I wanted the GLA.Look forward to playing some more in the future :)
I got given a Range Rover Experience a little while ago, designed to show people in the trade what they're capable of. Be great if someone did one of those for the GLA, in the meantime maybe I'll just have to keep pushing the boundaries myself ;)
Edited by: ForgotRafe

·
Registered
55 Posts
Having bought the GLA primarily so that we can continue to get about in our isolated rural area when it snows (we live on a steep mountain foothill), and having now fitted winter/snow tyres, I cannot wait to see if it copes as well as the Land Rovers that our neighbours seem to favour. Every morning I wake up, I'm willing it to snow - I'm that excited about the idea of seeing how well it will do. The MB video for the Off-Road Feature says not to engage it in snow but I can't for the life of me work out why that would be. Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I live on an estate in the East Midlands with a slope I have to negotiate to get on to the main road. It never gets gritted, and each year for the past 7 years, both my German rear-drive cars have struggled when it gets icy. It's slightly embarrassing when the rear end decides to drift.. especially when its towards the parked cars on either side of the (narrow) road. (Yes I put the gearbox into the highest gear I can..)
Reminds me of an experience in France (Grenoble) when it took 4 of us 2 hours to turn a Mercedes around. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but ignoring the signs saying "Road Closed due to snow" wasn't.

I too am looking forward to see how it copes; I do hope it copes!

·
Registered
55 Posts
A button on the central console, near the decent control button. It changes the throttle response, gear change mapping, and lighting - surely you know about it! The snow at the moment settles for a while on the grass but then melts

·
Registered
8 Posts
It seems I do not have that option on the GLA 45.
I do have "Launch Control"... and I just turned the ESP to "Sports Mode".... Interesting, 4 wheel drifts!
Sports Mode seems to turn ESP off

1 - 8 of 8 Posts