Mercedes GLA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am delighted with my new GLA but was very disappointed to find out that, despite having paid over £32K, the vehicle does not have DAB radio as standard and the FM is poor. The dealer's response was ' you didn't ask' ! Caveat emptor not good enough on a car of this stable and price. Mercedes Customer Care not interested either. It has taken the shine off my purchase. Is there any solution?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm not sure what to say! DAB used to be standard (when I bought my car) but now it's an extra, as has been reported and discussed on this forum previously. If it was not listed on the available extras list when you ordered your car, and if it was listed as part of the standard kit, then you would have a case for complaint, but I doubt if that was the case otherwise you would have already taken that line. It would at first glance seem that he was right: you didn't ask for it, albeit because you assumed it would be standard.

I guess you'll need to chalk that down to experience but don't let it spoil the experience of your new car. In my experience the FM radio is fine, in fact, more reliable than DAB where we live (North Wales). The GLA is a fabulous car - enjoy it :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was under the immpression it was standard when you have the Comand system fitted. But now after reading the manual it looks as if it is dependent on audio 5 or audio 20.

http://moba.i.daimler.com/baix/cars..._35.shtml:ID_3fe16e0736ad217b351f191401d23ce2

When I first got my car it took a while to find it hidden in the menu. I hope the link helps. If not I agree with roytheboy, in my experience a lot of the country is not good for mobile DAB. You must be frustrated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Unfortunately premium cars are notorious for charging extra for stuff you get standard on other cars. For example you could spend £9k and get a brand new Renault Twingo with sat nav and DAB included as standard...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I look on it as a commercial decision necessary to keep the 'standard' published price down. Things might have changed now, but when I made my buying decision (even though I've bought Mercs for decades), I speced up the car how I wanted it, then compared it to other cars with a similar spec. As it happens the GLA fared very well indeed despite the many safety features that you don't get with other cars. It was a no-brainer for me, but not everyone does that. Clearly there are those who just look at the basic price and make a decision on that alone, so I guess they try to keep that price down. The fact that MB have stopped DAB as standard suggests to me that they have to pay some sort of license per instance of DAB, otherwise (if it cost them only the parts they already have) why remove it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had DAB in my last 3 Minis, and so it was imperative that it was in the GLA butI'm actually disappointed by the DAB reception
I've driven the same routes in years without any issues,but now I get numerous dropped signal areas that I would never have in the Mini. Even on stations such as Radio 5 live.
I suspect its down to the ariel being in in the rear windscreen rather than a ariel that sat on the roof as it does in BMWs and Mini's

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm currently driving a C class (courtesy car) and the DAB reception is far superior to that in my GLA. I don't know the location of the DAB antenna, but there are no visible ones.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2014 GLA when DAB was standard but I don't use it as the reception is poor and there are no Traffic Announcements on it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I think the aerial is in the rear spoiler. My DAB reception,in Scotland, is fine. As good as my wife's BM. And no problems with traffic announcements.

·
Registered
5 Posts
DundeeMick, did you do anything particular to get Traffic Announcements working with DAB? I have the TA symbol showing but never receive any so not sure if I am doing something wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After using DAB for a month the reception is OK but not as good as my previous VW. I live in a very hilly area so there are some poor signal spots, however once you get onto the main trunk roads and motorway networks it seems fine. I did notice that the TXT display works much better on the GLA though compared to the VW, you get all the track and DJ names etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts