Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems Mercedes is willing to go even smaller than its GLA crossover, with a model previewed by the G-Code concept.

Revealed as part of Mercedes' opening of its new design-oriented facility in Beijing, China, the concept not only previews a compact future model, but it also features several cool technical innovations.
First we have the “multi-voltaic” paint the concept is coated in, which basically makes the body act like a big solar panel, but it apparently also produces juice by wind running over its surface too…
It makes even more power through its suspension system. What Mercedes calls “power-on-the-move suspension” apparently uses the movement of the springs to create even more electricity.

The vehicle also features a unique powertrain setup: a turbocharged engine that runs on (as in burns) hydrogen and sends drive to the front, while electric motors provide motivation for the rear axle.

Design wise, the G-Code features a clean, uncluttered look. It looks like a natural evolution of the current Mercedes styling and can be tied visually to the older Ener-G-Force concept of 2012. The model is expected to spawn will probably be a five-door, not three-door like the study.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Too small for a Mercedes SUV though. I think that Mercedes already have the Smart brand to build these kind of cars and there's no need to build this one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The industry is being pushed harder and harder into the small, eco-friendly route, so I guess MB are just making sure that they keep up with likely future trends and demands. It is only a concept car, after all. Still, it's good to see that they see the GLA style vehicle as the way of the future :)

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some nice touches, like the taillights, The whole small crossover rage is where everyone is headed.
I think we're yet to see any premium entries into this sector. I know Audi have said they will do a Q1 so a smaller SUV from Mercedes is not that daft...

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also the Star and the grill on the nose of the Mercedes G-Code illuminates in blue when the car is parked or travelling in electric mode, red when driving in sport mode, or purple when you decide to travel with the hybrid system in function.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Tom86 said:
Also the Star and the grill on the nose of the Mercedes G-Code illuminates in blue when the car is parked or travelling in electric mode, red when driving in sport mode, or purple when you decide to travel with the hybrid system in function.
Kool

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah until the police pull you over for speeding because your red grill gave it away!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts