Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new car is a 220 with the AMG Line and Night Pack. Hence 19inch low profile tyres. Anyone mounted a kerb yet intentionally for parking on narrow roads? Does it clip the alloys and or knock out the tracking?

Thanks

Daz

·
Registered
55 Posts
With low-profile tyres, that is going to depend totally on the shape and size of the kerb, your speed, and the angle you hit it at.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair point. Guess I'm just wondering if they will be more resilient than my current 19s on the Beamer. Have mounted a couple of 4 to 5 inch kerbs at reverse parking pace and still managed to clip them.

Guess the suspension on the GLA should be much better able to cope with kerbs etc

Cheers

Daz

·
Registered
55 Posts
Basic physics says that the less absorbency there is between the rims and the kerbs, the higher the chances of damage, but as you say, the suspension will make a difference too. I think it's just common sense that if you fit low-profile tyres, you're going to feel and hear the road more, and you're going to increase the chances of kerb damage. I've previously always had LP tyres on my cars, but this time I went for 18" summer and 17" winters, and I have definitely ridden kerbs so far that would have damaged my previous cars' rims.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
19's / low profile tyres / kerbs = me sat cringing at my desk reading this. I really wouldn't want to mount any kerbs with that setup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a Nissan 350z with the expensive alloys (£4k extra... no, I didn't buy them, they were already fitted). and after 2 years, each had kissed the kerb :-(
I have been (or have tried to be) careful in the current car, and I will admit to the lightest of clips on the nearside rear wheel. I nearly died. But when I looked, it isn't noticeable.. well, it's about 5mm in length.
I guess I need to take extra care...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts