Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,Just out of interest, has anybody with the Comand System on their GLA tried to loadspeed cameras on to the system. I tried, but couldn't get it to work, although I understand that I could if I switched the unit into engineering mode, which I have not done.After several phone calls and emails with my dealer and then Mercedes technical, I was told that Mercedes Europe have disabled this function because use of speed cameras in this way is illegal in Germany and France.This seems a rather heavy handed approach to me, but Mercedes refused to discuss it any further.So I was wondering if anybody else had tried this and whether or not they succeeded? Also whether anybody has managed to load any other types of POI?This seems a shame to me as I actually quite like the Comand System, although I would like the ability to update the maps myself rather than have to rely on my dealer, who only seems to want to do it once a year.I took delivery of my GLA in September 2014.</font>

·
Registered
55 Posts
I didn't know there was any speed-camera functionality to disable, and I haven't tried loading any POIs, but the fact that MB are erring on the side of legal caution and refusing to discus it, does not surprise me at all - it's what they do! Maybe it's the Teutonic culture.

Locking the secondary instrument display to KPH for UK cars is a similar case in point (as opposed to having it switchable), whereby even the DVSA have interpreted that particular law differently, but MB have refused to comment on their interpretation for many years now, even though it infuriates UK owners across the country that they cannot put the secondary display into 'outside temperature' mode, which is very obviously a far better and safer use of that particular display.

And now there's the issue of the automated full-beam headlights that dip when the car slows to 28mph i.e. just as you slow to take a sharp bend on a narrow, unlit country road. MB have raised a 'technical case' to investigate my concerns, but I'm not expecting to hear any more on the issue this year. Or next. Or the year after that.

On the whole, MB make some fantastic cars and the GLA is a case in point - I'm happy with my purchase and wouldn't have any other vehicle right now. However, they are shockingly bad at communication once you move above the 'dealership' level (i.e. MB 'proper'), and whilst they will change things in an insant to please car reviewers (like changing a car's standard spec, or raising the ride-height of the GLA almost overnight), they will not budge or even comment on an issue of law no matter how remote or ambiguous that might be.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Doing a search I came across a large thread on the A Class owners website. Basically the premise is to take a speed camera POI file for Tom Tom or Garmin devices, convert to .gpx and save to an SD card, and load via this, making sure in Comand POI audio announcements are on. The SD card has to stay in the reader as it reads this everytime the sat nav is used.I have not tried it yet as i am still looking at how to obtain the file (free if possible) however it seems for a small fee (< £10) certain sites will give you access for 12 months to a regularly updated file, bearing in mind cameras change position, mobile sites move around etc.

·
Registered
0 Posts
This is what I have observed in respect of speed cameras.

Just before a SPEED CAMERA: Central display shows SPEED LIMIT FOR THE CAMERA AHEAD

This is different from SPEED LIMIT ASSIST: Speed limit for the section is shown AFTER passing the relevant sign
which is either roadside or gantry based.

I have the Driver Assitance Package, but I don't think that should make any difference providing you have COMAND which includes the SPEED LIMIT ASSIST. Edited by: NTT

·
Registered
0 Posts
To NTT are you saying you have speed camera database installed on your comand? If so did you purchase this from MB or somewhere else and load yourself?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hi njfisheruk

The mapping used by MB is outsourced, it is the very same mapping used by a number of SATNAV providers who provide speed camera locations directly.

The same data is available in COMAND, and from the way I see it SPEED LIMIT ASSIST is doing what it is supposed to do by ASSISTING you to keep within the speed limit. It provides the data in an INDIRECT way thereby fulfilling the purpose for which SPEED LIMIT ASSIST was designed.
Edited by: NTT

·
Registered
55 Posts
IP6 said:
I think I might give this a go at some point, for £10 its worth a try
I think what NTT is saying is that you don't need to spend anything, just keep your eye on the indicated speed limit on the command display, because even though it doesn't show a speed camera symbol as such, it still gives you warning of the limit, because the SN system is programmed with speed limits regardless of if its camera picks up the road signs.

Personally, I disabled the speed limit display in the main instrument cluster on Day One because I'd see the sign in the road, look down to check my speed, and all I could see for the next few seconds was a repeat of the sign I'd just seen in the road - not my actual speed!

·
Registered
0 Posts
roytheboy said:
IP6 said:
I think I might give this a go at some point, for £10 its worth a try
I think what NTT is saying is that you don't need to spend anything, just keep your eye on the indicated speed limit on the command display, because even though it doesn't show a speed camera symbol as such, it still gives you warning of the limit, because the SN system is programmed with speed limits regardless of if its camera picks up the road signs.

Personally, I disabled the speed limit display in the main instrument cluster on Day One because I'd see the sign in the road, look down to check my speed, and all I could see for the next few seconds was a repeat of the sign I'd just seen in the road - not my actual speed!
That's correct as Roytheboy says. You don't need to spend any money if you have COMAND.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The speed you see on the command screen does not come on when you are near a camera and is in no way related to speed cameras. What it does is show you the speed on the section of road you are on and will show most of the time on the map screen. One reason why you may think it comes on when a speed camera is near is because speed camera are normal located on sections of road where the speed changes. The speed indication also changes on the map display with meters of you driving over the border of this speed change. So more coincidence then anything else.

One thing to note is that is does not show on all roads as this data is simply not available for all roads as yet and it can be inaccurate if the roads have been re-zoned which around me is quite a few roads of late.

The speed limit on the central display in the clocks is displayed when you pass a speed sign on the road. The camera which faces forward in the rear view mirror attachement area to the windscreen (which you can see when you look at the black section on the windscreen) reads the speed signs and relays the info onto the central display. If memory serves it is also used in the collision assist system.

Loading speed camera's has never been offered by Mercedes or any car manufacturer as a factory option (as far as I am aware) as it is not legal to do so in some countries (France springs to mind and they do like to stop and check UK plate cars just for this).

Where loading the speed cameras comes in handy is you get an audible bing to indicate that you are approaching a camera even if navigation is not on ,or the map display is not on. If you do have it on you also get a visual POI of a traffic camera displayed on the map.

And yes it can be loaded very easily on the GLA command as I have done. Follow the instructions on the A class forum as they tell you everything you need to know, and yes you will proabably will need to pay money unless someone gives you the latest file to load.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I know speeding is illegal but sometimes when travelling along a stretch of road an alert that a speed camera is coming up would be helpful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Steve follow the instructions on the A class forum and load them. This way you will get the notification and it really is so simple. One thing when you say load custom poi on the command do not expect a progress meter. Just give it a couple of minutes and it will load.

Subscription on SCDB is only 9 euro or so and you get updates for a year. Plus if you have a portable navi you can also download for that as well hence why I had a subscription already. Although I got a free year as well for uploading a camera that was not mapped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello BasilD, do you have a link to the A Class Forum please, as I would like to try that.For those that are interested the speed camera database that I have been using for several years now is Pocketgpsworld.com. They have a file for the Comand system, but I cannot get it to work. In previous systems I have always found it easy to use and very reliable, and accurate. I have cancelled my subscription now because of the problems I am having with MB, but from memory it's less than £16 per year. It also has it's own very active forum.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rocklandbloke said:
Hello BasilD, do you have a link to the A Class Forum please, as I would like to try that.For those that are interested the speed camera database that I have been using for several years now is Pocketgpsworld.com. They have a file for the Comand system, but I cannot get it to work. In previous systems I have always found it easy to use and very reliable, and accurate. I have cancelled my subscription now because of the problems I am having with MB, but from memory it's less than £16 per year. It also has it's own very active forum.....
Just go to this site and follow the instructions. It is what the a class forum links to anyway.

http://mb.jack-nicholson.info/

·
Registered
0 Posts
yes have speed cameras loaded as Personal Points of Interest... tick the box and also for visual and sound and will work up to 1 mile map setting for visual on command... only audio above ... the file is only 5 mbwill only work with SD slot on car dash if you have command.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts