Mercedes GLA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just joined this forum!
I have just passed the 300 mile mark on my GLA 220 4Matic AMG. What a car!
Can anyone advise me though on where I can get the correct lead to connect my iPhone 6 to the car? The showroom where I bought the car told me that it was £50. They don't give much away. The car did come with a free lead but that was for the iPhone 5 and earlier.
Any ideas as to where I can go or should I just stump up the cash and get an official lead?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and your new car. Sounds like another happy GLA customer :)

I have an iPhone 5s which has the same lightning connector, I believe, as the iPhone 6. I use a standard lightning->USB connector (as supplied with the phone) plugged into the car's USB socket. This supplies power to the phone, and the rest of the connectivity is catered for by the bluetooth integration. I'm not sure if the MB iPhone 4 connector features an aerial extender cable for a better signal (does anyone else know?), if so, you might be better paying the £50. You could also buy an Apple lightning adaptor for the iPhone 4 plug, but I think they are about £30 (do not buy one from eBay) and they are going to be clumsy to fit. All I can say is that my 5s seems to work fine connected to the USB socket.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
bo_bennett said:
Hi all. Just joined this forum!
I have just passed the 300 mile mark on my GLA 220 4Matic AMG. What a car!
Can anyone advise me though on where I can get the correct lead to connect my iPhone 6 to the car? The showroom where I bought the car told me that it was £50. They don't give much away. The car did come with a free lead but that was for the iPhone 5 and earlier.
Any ideas as to where I can go or should I just stump up the cash and get an official lead?
Hi,The iphone 5 and upwards all use the same cable

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
BMW use a special Y shaped cable that plugs into USB and another socket IIRC otherwise you don't get audio through the normal cable alone. Is that what this special one from Merc does?
It's just that an offical Apple lightning lead is only £15 so it will have to be pretty special if they want £50 for it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Blimey; I didn't think Apple sold anything for less than £35! Sorry to slight your judgement.

Yes, that's the lead that I use to connect my 5s to my GLA, as in the lead that comes with the phone. Just beware that MB's official iPhone lead *might* have an aerial extender built in.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Purchased the Media cable (£45)to use with iphone 5 works fine.... usb only charges correct me if I am wrong, have to connections in centre console box... one usb and one Mercedes media... I did get a free lead for iphone 30 pin connector...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes, since using the USB lead with my iPhone 5s, I have realised that I can no longer use the MB apps that are part of the Command system. I don't use them a lot but I will probably buy a Lightening connector from MB.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts