Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a very quick question for you all.
Do any of you use brushes to wash your car, or do you stick to doing it with a sponge? If you use a brush and have had success with it, which one do you recommend? I am just worried about buying a brush and it leaves swirls or such like on my paintwork (obviously i would not buy a hard bristled brush for a start Confused).
Any help is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Buy yourself a micro-fibre MIT (cheap as chips) to wash your car. You can get them in pound shops and they don't scratch, are easy to use and along with micro-fibre towels (also pound shops) to dry the vehicle. It is in my opinion, the best way to look after your car

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I personally would not use a brush of any kind, and as for the automatic car washes with those massive brushes spinning round, they will give you massive swirls, especially if some **** with a muddy wreck has just gone through, and any one that tells you different must be on medication.
I have found the best answer is the two bucket job, whilst your wheels are dry, spray each wheel with a good quality alloy wheel cleaner, do not leave on for more than a minute (see directions for use)use your hose to wash off any dirt or dust particles from the wheels and at the same time all of the car, don't forget to put your hose pipe up under each wheel arch, (watch the muck fall out) then with some car shampoo only (household washing liquid has salt in it) and a micro fibre mitt or cloth wash only the top half of your vehicle, down to the door handles.
With the second bucket wash the remainder of your vehicle, leaving the wheels till last, giving them a final wash with the remainder of water left in your bucket, do not wash you car if the sun is shining on it, with a good quality chamois dry all of the car including the insides of the doors and the door shuts and the inside lip of the boot, also lift the bonnet and remove any excess water that might drip on your engine.
Now for the good bit, you will need a good quality tyre shine and a clean dry cloth/rag, spray the tyre shine on any parts of the engine that are covered in black plastic than wipe off, this will give you that brand new showroom look on your engine, in fact you can use it any where in the engine bay to clean it up and make it look like new again.
Don't forget to clean the glass, drop each window by about 4/5 inches to clean the window, this gets rid of the unsightly line which appearseach time you wash the car, tyre shine the tyres, job done.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A bad back means that I have used the services of roadside jet-wash crews for many years, who normally do a superb job in double-quick time for about £15. However, reading the new GLA's manual (I'm working my way though it bit by bit) I am left wondering if I should pay heed to all the warnings about the dangers of using a jet washer on anything other than a straight bit of body panel. Does anyone have any experience of damage caused by jet washing the latest Mercs, or should I ignore the warnings and press on as I always have, leaving the jet wash crews to clean my latest pride and joy?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I started off hand washing but then had to resort to jet washes as time didn't allow for the hand wash (usual busy family life)... but I did take it easy and use a good quality jet wash that had a variable pressure system where you can choose high power or low power (I go for low on the body work and high on the inner wheel arches)... I also used the jet wash at an angle rather than flat on, this reduces the chance to paint work damage... it's also useful on the inner wheel arches to clean out the mud (after off road use), this cleans out the few spots which get clogged up, plus it can make your car look better when you blast off the side sills underneath... the only area to go very careful is the rear camera point, avoid using the jet on this (I use a sponge to wash this)...

After the hot wax I clean the windows to remove any residue and then finish off the doors, boot and engine bay... luckily I have the cirrus white finish which is easy to clean as you see immediately where the dirt is... it also shines up very well with a touch of Autoglym (white) wax...

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll be honest and say I've been a little too busy lately and have been using our local Polish jet wash!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts