Mercedes GLA Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to change a HID Xenon bulb? less than 10K on the clock and I have warnning that LH bulb is inop. Mercedes say if it's the electronics the warranty covers it (stores quoted £140 for a bulb!!!!!!!!!). I did expect it to last a bit longer than 9months.
Iam aware that there is access thro the wheelarch but you need a uv joint in your wrist to do anything and to cap it all my car has runflats therefore mercedes think I don't need a jack or wheel brace. It would help access if the wheel was off the car. Any ideas before is give my wallet to the dealer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Like nearly all new cars these days, no GLA has a jack or brace, just gunk and a pump.

The manual says this about accessing the lighting cover:

<b style="color: rgb102, 102, 102; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 15px; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; white-space: normal; widows: 1; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; : rgb255, 255, 255;">To remove:[/b]switch off the lighting system and turn the front wheels to full lock. Slide cover<b style="color: rgb102, 102, 102; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 15px; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; white-space: normal; widows: 1; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; : rgb255, 255, 255;">1[/b]up and remove it.

It goes on to explain how to access the bulb, which is probably just as fiddly as most other cars these days.

As for the price, like all things, you will for sure be able to find them cheaper if you search the web, but who knows how long they will last? ...longer than 9 months perhaps!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good morning roytheboy. Yes but the process is for standard halogen bulb not for HID, not only that my car has the package with the bigger wheel/tyre which even at full lock I can't gain sufficient access. The access hole is offset to the bulb. When I get my fingers onto the square electronic bit of the bulb do I press/pull and turn clockwise, anticlockwise or do something else, there dose not appear to be a clip holding it in. In anticipation in soggy Oxford.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry; I didn't at first realise there was much of a difference.

I just googled 'mercedes HID Xenon bulb for gla' and found this page which shows what the parts look like > http://www.oemxenonshop.com/Mercede...t-HID-Ballast-Bulb-Control-Unit-Computer.html

Note that the page states: "Normally speaking, when your headlight have problem, check out the fuse first, if it's ok, then replace the factory fit xenon control unit box ballast is ok, because from our many years experience, when the headlight not work, 90% of the problem is on the ballast."

So the next question is: were you quoted for just the bulb, or all three components? Might this explain the high price?

I was looking for a picture of the bulb to answer your question about the bayonet mechanism, but there does not appear to be one! However, this forum post about a CL500 might help > http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=123989 On the CL500 the igniter unit is big and black, but it might come off similarly on the GLA's smaller metal unit.

If I were you, I would try and get the bulb out to inspect it. If you can and it does not look obviously unserviceable, I would let the dealer fix it as it might be the ballast unit, or the connector or something else. If the dealer fixes it they should only charge you for whichever part is unserviceable, but if you have a go, you might end up having to buy lots of parts until you find the one that was bust. On the other hand, if the bulb looks blown, you'll have your culprit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
And just as an afterthought, this page suggests that Osram gives a two-year warranty on its HID bulbs > http://www.aliexpress.com/item/OSRA...BULB-5000K-Headlight-Original/1811588146.html

...in which case you'll probably find that all the major suppliers do the same; in which case you might find that the bulb *should* be covered by that same warranty, that MB *should* be covered by when they fitted the part to your vehicle on the production line. Personally, I would push this issue a bit harder with MB. Ask them what make of bulb they use, then find out what the warranty is on those bulbs, then insist that they fix your car and pass the bill back to the bulb's maker.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have already got a pair of D3Sx5000K from Hids-Direct at £40incl p&p just in case (arrived overnight). The Bulb in question is intermittent which may indicated that its something electronic rather than the bulb. My local garage says there is no filament in the bulb as they as gas discharge type and it is very rare for one to go usually the electronics. Have also now got a jack so I can take the wheel off. On this occasion I think I'll risk the dealership and watch what they do. Will keep you updated.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes it could be something 'electronic' but as the igniter unit now seems to be part of the same component as the bulb, your replacement part might still do the trick. Surely if you've got the parts (and the jack), it would be worth swapping them over to see what happens?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all.
Have been to main dealer and they say it's the electronic bit on the back of the bulb and is covered under the warranty. Whoop whoop!
Interestingly no fault showed up on OMB read out.
Guess what, no stock!, have to order from Germany, come back on Thursday providing the French don't disrupt the tunnel.
They also said the spare bulbs I had were of no use as they have to be electronically coded to the car and that make can't be coded. Fortunately HIDS direct are giving me a refund on return of bulbs, what good guys they are.
So far my wallet is intact, will keep you posted.

Edited by: GlaZing

·
Registered
55 Posts
"electronically coded to the car" ...WTF! I'd love to know more about why this is.

Thanks for the update - all useful stuff to know :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
GLAzing the Xenon bulbs are covered and have 2 year warrenty, so replacement by your dealer is free as you have found out. Halogen bulbs are covered by a 12 month warrenty and the Intelligent light system does have one halogen bulb in each headlight (why no idea as it should have been LED!).

BTW the bulbs are not coded to the car the xenon control module is coded under XENRTY but is not specific it just tells the car that XENON's are fitted.

T

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well MB have changed the unit under warranty with no quibble and all is good. I think it was the circuitry on the back of the bulb. Nice to be legal again and have two headlights.

BasilD thanks for your knowledge will bear that in mind if problem arises again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts