Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried the GLA 200 with the 6.7 inch ground clearance, and was impressed by the easy handling. The car exists also with 8 inch ground clearance. Has anyone tested the difference in handling between them?

·
Registered
0 Posts
I test drove a GLA200 with the 6.7 inch ground clearance, but own the GLA250 with the 8 inch ground clearance (off-road comfort suspension). Noticed a little more body roll, though surprisingly cornering at speed seemed to remain almost as flat.
The biggest difference I noticed was the rolling/floatingsensationand lateral movement when the car attempts to settle back down aftergoing over bumpy surfacesduringcornering. It was very slight in the test car, but happens more with the off-roadsuspension.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Presumably the higher driving position isn't really perceivable. On bumpy roads (straight line) do you find it more comfortable? I'm still hesitating between them, as I live in a rural area, and some cars tends to scratch the ground when coming to my place (VW Touran, Mercedes Class A).

·
Registered
0 Posts
No noticeable difference in driving position regarding height.
The off-road comfort suspension will imo always handle bumpy roads better than any lower(ed) suspension, but the trade off will always be handling (tiny bit more lean and the floating sensation mentioned above).
If you live in a rural area, I'd personally go for the higher ground clearance. That said, Roy hasn't been having a problem at all with the slightly lower suspension.
If you're ordering new, I don't think you have a choice any more (they all come with the offroad suspension by default). If you're picking up a ex-demo you might be able to get the one with the slightly lower clearance.

·
Registered
55 Posts
As pip says, it's a trade-off or compromise between ride comfort and road holding, but all the different models seem okay from what people say. My 2014 AMG-line (the lowest apart from the AMG45) is obviously not going to be as soft as the new models, but even with my fragile back, I don't have any issues on the rough tracks I use every day. On the other hand, only this morning I passed two long lorries and a car on a rare straight stretch of road on an otherwise twisty route. I spun the turbo up and floored it past the traffic, taking the last lorry around the (sighted) bend at the end of the straight. I was flying as I hoiked the wheel round the lorry, round the bend, and fully expected to drift out, as I would have in my previous C-Class. But the GLA's 4WD stuck to the tarmac like it was on rails, and the chassis was nice and level. At times like that I'm glad I've got a lowered suspension, but I'm sure any GLA would have made it round safely. As pip says: the higher the springs, the softer the ride but the more walloey it is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts