Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks
Took delivery of a GLA220CDI AMG Line with Premium Plus & Night Packs at the the end of March. Very excited to get it as have spent 20 years in BMW's. 3 days in and 120 miles on the clock I get Transmission Malfunction. Roadside assistance come out. Diagnostics pointing to a faulty oil pump in the gearbox. Chap says it could be software so clears the system down. Same fault comes straight back up. MB have had the car 10 days now. Replaced the oil pump and 20 mins into the test drive it comes back up again. MB have now had this brand new car sitting on their driveway three times longer than I did and they will probably end up doing more mileage as well. Pretty sure I don't want the car back but don't know what recourse I have. Anyone else had similar issue?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've had no faults with my GLA in the six months I've owned it, and I sympathize with you that your new car is faulty, but it's just a fault - these things happen with new cars; all makes of new car. I'm confused; why don't you want it back again? It's just a part or program that's gone wrong, and they will fix it - they have to by law. I think you need some perspective here, and I'm not trying to offend you.

Cars today are a mass of complex technology, and whilst it would be lovely to expect perfection every time with marques like MB, it just doesn't happen these days, even with the *really* expensive car manufacturers.

Have they given you a replacement car to use while yours is in their garage? If so, be patient and let them fix yours properly. MB do seem to be having a few issues with the GLA judging by some of this forum's posts, but if it's any consolation, the GLA is a fantastic car and there are dozens of owners on this forum who will tell you that any teething troubles are worth the wait to get them fixed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2014 GLA220 CDI AMG Line has now done about 8000 miles without any problems. That said, the gearbox can be a bit ponderous when pulling off giving a feeling that the gap you hoped to pull into might not be quite big enough after all!!
I also appreciate that the shiny edge has been taken off your new car before you have even had the chance to enjoy it but i do think it is worth waiting for it to come back as it is a great car overall.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had new cars from BMW and Porsche - not one problem between the lot of them. 18 cars over 15 years (I don't keep them long) so for a car to go wrong a need a new gear box (which is what I am now being told) after 130 miles is a sign of poor design and a lack of testing. Don't forget that this is my first foray into the MB brand and I am starting to have my doubts. Trust me, I want to be proved wrong and right now the only thing MB can do to rescue me as a customer is give me a new car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have had new Mercs since the 80's without any issues apart from a 190E that made an almost indistinguishable whine after 5 years (gearbox replaced without question even though it was out of warranty), and my last C-Class V6 when it got to seven years old and the secondary air pump failed. My point is that it's only in the last few years that cars generally have gotten *so* technically complex. They are designed and made completely differently to how they were just a few years ago, and are reliant on software so much more. Automotive design and construction has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years and I dare say that market forces are driving production schedules too hard than is ideal. But I doubt that is confined to MB alone, and unfortunately, more complexity means there is more to go wrong. Take the new gearbox; take the car back; enjoy it. If you don't, sell it at the point you were going to anyway, later in the year - it'll still be under warranty so what's the problem?

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
It is disappointing and does take the shine off what should be an enjoyable experience. I hope they sort it out for you.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just found out that the car needs a new valve body in the gearbox. Not good for a car that's done 100 miles.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The gearbox valve body is a hellishly complex-looking box of tricks that sits under the gearbox, containing all manner of springs, plates and sensors that are in many ways the brains of the gearbox. Nothing in here would have worn so quickly but it might well have failed with heat. A small percentage of just about all electrical and mechanical parts fail when first used in anger, especially electronic components when first exposed to prolonged heat. This does not mean that your entire car was badly built, only that you have been very unlucky, or that there is a batch problem that will need to be addressed (time will tell). If it is a serious batch problem, there will be a product recall; if it is a not-so-serious batch problem, the component will be replaced on all GLAs at the next service and they might or might not tell you about it. If the failure rate of whatever has caused your particular problem falls below a particular figure, they will just deal with the problem as they find it. All of this is standard stuff for all makes of car.

It's a bummer that you can't use your new car yet, but looking at the positive side of this, at least the fault was identified by the car's systems before you even knew about it, and at least (I presume) MB are being polite and professional about the way they are dealing with it (if not, complain to MB HQ).

Again, I am just trying to bring a sense of perspective to your situation. I hope you get your car back soon :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
By the way, if you did not notice any issues changing up and down gear before the Built In Test Equipment reported a fault, the problem might be nothing more than a tiny component failure in a sensor. Either way, the valve body will need replacing, but again, it is not a sign that the whole car is built badly or is untested, only that something survived the tests before failing under a little more heat or stress.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well roytheboy at least they took the VW Sharon away and gave us a B class yesterday. Hopefully our car will be fixed today or tomorrow and back on the road in one piece. We had it a whole 3.5 days so we hadn't even had a chance to get to grips with it - like A night drive - so haven't even enjoyed the ambient lighting pack.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The fact that they gave you a VW in the first place is more a mark of the dealership than of MB. I've never needed a courtesy car but if I did I would expect a Merc. Someone else on this forum was given the dealership's demonstration GLA when his car had to go in for a warranty repair. The ambient lighting is a good 'wow' factor for rear passengers :)

Which town in Sussex do you live in, by the way, as I was born and raised in Worthing many moons ago.

Edited by: roytheboy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts