Mercedes GLA Forums banner

GLA rolling backwards in 1st gear

12K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  tigger 
#1 ·
Anyone else see evidence of this? I have a video of it happening in my car, but this is a massive safety issue surely?!

#2 ·
Page 144 of the manual:
Hill start assist
Hill start assist helps you when pulling awayforwards or in reverse on an uphill gradient. Itholds the vehicle for a short time after youhave removed your foot from the brake pedal.This gives you enough time to move your footfrom the brake pedal to the accelerator pedaland to depress it before the vehicle begins toroll.WARNINGAfter a short time, hill start assist will no longerbrake your vehicle and it could roll away.There is a risk of an accident and injury.Therefore, quickly move your foot from thebrake pedal to the accelerator pedal. Neverleave the vehicle
It looks like Hill start assist only holds the car for a short period of time after you have removed your foot from the brake pedal (usually enough time to get onto the accelerator pedal).
Are you taking your foot off the brake and waiting?

#3 ·
That is odd. No other automatic I've driven has ever been able to roll back in gear, hill assist or not?!
If a car has hill assist, or is automatic, you should expect that when one is approaching a junction cautiously, that the car should not roll backwards....(!)

#9 ·
Using the HOLD function does leave the brake lights on which is distracting for the drivers behind if you are stationary at the lights for some time. I often put the car in Park which prevents rolling even on the steepest hills, stops the engine in ECO mode and takes the brake lights off. Several choices!!

#10 ·
Seabri said:
Using the HOLD function does leave the brake lights on which is distracting for the drivers behind if you are stationary at the lights for some time.
All automatic cars have to be held on the brakes at junctions and traffic lights, so if a driver is going to get annoyed about it, they will find no peace in this ever-increasing world of automated vehicles! It's a similar thing with hills; as a young man I could never understand why so many people used to ride the brakes down inclines. Then I bought my first automatic Merc and all became clear. That said, the GLA has an automated engine-braking function (it changes down a few gears on inclines) which is impressively cool :)

#11 ·
If you do push the gear lever into Park the brake lights do go off and the car will be held on a steep slope. It does take a second or so longer to put back into Drive (with the foorbrake brake on) when the lights change but does stop the christmas tree of red lights annoying the driver behind especially in the wet.

#12 ·
Seabri said:
If you do push the gear lever into Park the brake lights do go off and the car will be held on a steep slope. It does take a second or so longer to put back into Drive (with the foorbrake brake on) when the lights change but does stop the christmas tree of red lights annoying the driver behind especially in the wet.
Not good for automatic gearboxes.

#14 ·
I now accept that I just misunderstood the function of the dual clutch, but Jesus Christ it's scary for a person that has never experienced it before. It's one little less worry that I'm getting rid of the car and replacing it with a reliable one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.