Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm a newbie. Got our GLA in September and absolutely love the look and feel of the car (AMG exterior and interior). Red stitching on dash and bucket seats looks great, sun roof, night and premium plus package it's probably the nicest car we've ever owned. However, we have had a few issues with it and just wondered if anyone else has encountered the same? First problem was after 1 month 'unable to select reverse', which was put down to software update. After that, 'park assist inoperable', then more recently 'collision assist inoperable'. The car repeatedly went into emergency mode with no more than 2000 revs. Very frustrating and dangerous to drive as it would suddenly loose power. It had been in the garage since 6 January and we only got it back yesterday! Apparently, it was sent into emergency mode due to an electrical fault with the CPU. The pins have been replaced to make a better connection. However, Mercedes Germany are still awaiting the mounting bracket for the camera related to the collision assist. We just wanted our car back so we are currently disabling the collision assist when we drive it. Please let us know if you've had the same problem? Maybe we've just been very unlucky. Fingers crossed this will be the end of the problems once the part is fitted.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome to the forum
I don't know who runs it, but it's a place where us UK GLA owners can share our experiences.

Personally, the only issue I've had related to any of your issues, was a 'park assist inoperable' message when using the park assist in snow, when the sensors were covered in road muck. I can excuse the car for not being able to cope with those conditions. There is another post on this forum about the reversing issue, which does indeed seem to be a software problem. I do hope your problems are not a sign of things to come for us all!

As I've said elsewhere, teething problems - especially software related ones - are to be expected with new models of cars; it's how the manufacturer deals with those problems that is the mark of their professionalism. Are you happy with the way your issues have been dealt with?

Edited by: roytheboy

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Roytheboy! I've noticed that you seem to be the main contact on this forum. Thank you for your response. I get understand there are inevitable teething problems with new models although I would have thought that manufacturers thoroughly test the cars before releasing them rather than letting the customers be their guinea pigs. It's nice to have the car back although it will still have to go in when the part finally arrives. I've had many conversations with customer services and sent even more emails. Unfortunately I can't say that the experience has been what I would expect from Mercedes Benz. Having never owned one before, I'd imagined a lot more from the brand. With my particular problem they just haven't been able to divulge an information regarding the part and that has been extremely frustrating. The issue seems to be with the supplier to Mercedes Germany and the fact no one knows exactly when the part will be delivered. Not being able to get any more information after 3 weeks isn't great. On the one hand it's only a car and I was given a courtesy one whilst mine was off the road. On the other I'm not particularly happy that I waited 4 months for it to be built with the spec I wanted only for it to be in and out of the garage. My reason for posting this info was purely to see if anyone else has experienced any of these issues and to possibly be of help if they have or do. Also, I did notice the headlights had misted last night and saw various comments about that on the forum so that was helpful.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Mine had the collision preparation warning disabled due to a software problem apparently so had to have that fixed then.... I also got a puncture and there were no spare tyres in uk for 1 week- had to import from MB Germany and dealership lent me a SMARTCar while I waited - Horrendous ! Mine is a 220 AMG (the first one that came into the UK) and is also affected by the recall fault - have been complaining of burning oil smell since I bought it brand new last year 😁 Think he dealerships are lame

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oh dear, oh dear. I've owned Mercs since 1985 and have always found the dealerships, servicing teams and customer service generally to be the epitome of professionalism. Then again, each dealership is a law unto itself, so maybe I've just been lucky. I bought my first 190E in Germany, where you are treated like a king as a Merc owner, and that experience continued on my return to Kent. I haven't had any complaints recently, but clearly things are changing if your experiences are anything to go by.

Maybe it's due to the change of market sector. Maybe when they only sold big limos and the like, when my 190E was considered a bold new move into the 'small car' market (at that time), that the prices they charged gave them the financial flexibility to ensure that the customer really was King at any cost. Now that they are moving firmly into the 'small car' market of today, where they have to be competitive to survive (and I think they are competitive), maybe they have to be much more cost-aware and are not quite so keen to throw moony at a problem in order to keep people happy.

As an engineer used to working at the cutting edge, I have a lot of sympathy with any manufacturer constantly pushing the boundaries to offer superior products, but that sympathy has limits, so I hope that my GLA - which I love as much as I did my beloved RS2000 back in the early 80's - does not start developing any faults as you guys seem to be suffering from. I'm crossing my fingers, because I *really* like my little GLA, and do not want to be driving back and forth an hour each way to my nearest MB garage in North Wales.

By the way, you would not believe the number of miles and different conditions that the GLA was tested in prior to release - have no fear, they were thoroughly tested. The trouble with software, though, is that it is constantly being updated and improved, and every update introduces potential new bugs. I know this because it's what I do.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I am more concerned that the tyre was invented in 1845 and not ONE single MB dealership, nor any other tyre wholesaler in the whole of the country had in stock 1 single tyre which would fit any of our beloved GLA's.... I find it hard to believe that you would find that service which should be offered to a king..

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure they were tested that well, received a letter today saying their is a product recall!!Timing chain tensioner issue causing oil to leak.Just another nail in the coffin, in addition to the fact it is now 4 1/2 weeks and still the part has not arrived

1 - 7 of 7 Posts