Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking through the latest (Sept 2015) MB brochure for the GLA:
http://tools.mercedes-benz.co.uk/current/passenger-cars/e-brochures/gla-class.pdf

Under the optional equipment, Smartphone Integration is listed and says:
"Comprising Apple CarPlayTM and MirrorLink. Compatible smartphones with the iOS or Android operating system can be integrated into
the vehicle via Apple CarPlayTM and MirrorLink. Please check on www.apple.com/uk/ios/carplay/ or www.mirrorlink.com for smartphone compatibility and approved apps. Certain features and apps require a 3G or 4G data connection. Control of features available through voice control and controller on centre consol"
And this is included in Command Online.

Can anyone confirm this?

My partner has a 2016 spec car on order and is collecting it this coming weekend. Car Play support would be a very nice surprise as we weren't expecting that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I queried this when I ordered my GLA, dealership couldn't find any documentation on this and called the marketing department in MB UK.
The carplay option, smartphone integration,(£250) is not available till spring next year. you can order a new car now with 2016 delivery date and spec the carplay option. early 2016 spec cars cant be ordered with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah ok. I will confirm tomorrow as I pick up our new GLA then. I suspect it is how you describe it, and I wouldn't be surprised if the early 2016 cars cannot be software updated to get Car Play support.

I'll report back once we've got the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
To be honest once you plug the phone to the usb socket you pretty much have full control of your phone from music to calls so I think the CarPlay is just an extra gimmick.
The big screen is a massive improvement to the 2014 model. This makes such a difference to the one I test drove. Text and graphics are much better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So to confirm, current MY2016 cars being delivered do not have Apple Car Play installed. We collected ours on Saturday (17th Oct) with Command Online installed but no Car Play. The manuals included with Command Online do talk about Car Play, it just does not appear in the menus.

Hopefully it will turn up later as an update, but lets see.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just went with the premium package as that has everything you need. Was thinking about the command package as well but thought the premium package with the xenons and satnav was enough to be spending on the options list. It's a second car for the Mrs to go about in so couldn't justify ticking any more option boxes :laugh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Same for us. We went for Premium Plus as the memory seats would be very helpful for us. The Command Online was a bit of an indulgence. From what I've seen, it's not that great, probably not worth the money. If we do get Car Play later then I'd be happy. If not, no big deal.

The one thing I didn't specify, which I now would have done, is the driver aids, particularly the cruise control which adjusts speed relative to other cars. I've tried this out on another car since and it's pretty great on the motorway.

Other than that, the GLA is a nice comfortable car and just right for us as a 2nd car but able to do everything well as a primary car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would have liked the memory seats as we have them in my other car but couldn't justify another £1k or so plus I would have had to wait for a factory build and not a Uk stock car. Pretty impressive though from ordering to pick up in less than a week. Been waiting over 3 months for my Audi to be built but I did pick quite a few options ;-)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts