Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three days into driving my new 45 and a few observations: its b&*^dy quick, it handles really well, the command on line and harmon kardon systems are fantastic and the seats are very supportive. Points to note, the accelerator is slightly disconcerting in that there is a "lag" before the revs rise in comfort and sports mode, the heat generated under the bonnet in only a 20 mile drive is immense, so much so that when trying to raise the bonnet to show off the signature on the hand built engine nearly resulted in blistered hands! and the "chunkiness" of the body is something that takes some time to adjust to when entering narrow gates etc. And now the wife wants it after one short drive!
So far though, especially with the sports exhaust option, it sounds and drives like nothing else. Shame I don't seem to be able to post pictures, don't know if its me or the forum web page set up???

·
Registered
0 Posts
Nice write up and enjoy this fine carl

How about the ride quality? And could you elaborate a little on this lag thing?

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Ah man, all was going good until you said your wife wanted a drive! lol
You should be able to post photos, I think there are a few issues with iphone / ipad ones though. I'll try and post a guide up because I would love to see some!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just over a month with the 45 now, ashamedly only 400 miles so far, but going for a long long blast tomorrow. Amazingly I am actually getting 36 mpg in Eco, and even giving it a bit of a blast here and there still averaging 34 overall! The AMG sports exhaust sounds great, so much so that the HK sound system was a bit of a over indulgence, mind you now got the bluetooth connected devices sounds worked out as well as the HD storage loaded up so not without a good selection of sounds any more. Very impressed with the Command online, ran the car down to almost fumes and the satnav kicked in asking if I wanted to know the nearest petrol stations and displaying them! So far very impressed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hmm. I have had my GLA 45 for, what, 4 days and I think I am approaching 250 miles.
I have just done a round trip to Hemel Hempstead and I've managed 35mpg... and I've been doing mostly 50-70mph (road works) on the M1. I think that if I put my foot down, I'll be hitting 30mpg if I am lucky!
What sort of journeys do you undertake? (I saw 24mph in and out of town, short runs)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm impressed with your fuel consumption. I've done 1,800 miles over three weeks in my GLA250 (a mix of journey types), and although I watch the consumption average out at about 45mph whilst cruising on the motorways at 75-80mph, my average since reset (new) is showing 34mpg. I would have expected your AMGs to be lower than that, not about the same!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Actually, thinking about it, your AMGs also have 2 litre petrol engines so why shouldn't they give equal economy to mine when driven carefully e.g. when being run-in. My consumption drops to around 25mpg if I stick it in Sport mode and gun it a bit, so I guess your cars will drop even lower, given the insane levels of power they have! My GLA250 is the fastest car I have ever owned, and I've always had fast cars, but the GLA AMG must be a complete thrill when you put your foot down (as conditions allow, of course) :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
At the moment, the M1 is brilliant; most of the time one is either doing 50mph or stationary

Probably accounts for the mpg I am seeing. At 2000 rpm it's over 70mph, and it is too easy to approach the 85mph max during running in; there's a beast waiting under the bonnet.
I've owned a 944S (2.5lt, 190bhp) and a Nissan 350z (3lt, 290bhp) and boy, this is quick! The only way the power is going to get used is on a track.... or overtaking

·
Registered
8 Posts
It certainly is!
.... and bearing in mind that I have tried, oh have I tried, to keep it to below 4,500rpm and 84mph, it is *AWESOME*
The only thing I have ever owned that came this close was the 350Z.. (The 944S wouldn't have stood a chance in a straight line...)

And you know what? People haven't got a clue what it is...so when some oik sits on my tail, I just blip the accelerator and pull over... about half a mile in front of them.
It handles pretty well on the odd bend around here too.
A BMW X5 pulled up alongside at the fuel pumps... OMG it is HUGE in comparison.
It should keep me happy for, oh, what, 12months
(I get bored far too easily)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm mega-impressed with the power/speed of my GLA250, so you must have a huge grin on your face every time you put your foot down. I'm jealous, of course. Let me know if you're ever passing through mid North Wales - I'd love to hear the GLA45's roar :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
As Iam drivingnow a 350Z with 290ps and waiting for my GLA45, what is the difference in performance you can see betwen these two cars?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, as you know, the 350z is a 3lt/v6 normally aspirated so it's power delivery was pretty near instantaneous.
The turbo in the GLA gets going at 2,500rpm... and given that I can do 70mph+ at 2,000rpm one has to restraint one's right foot. The only way to get the 4.8s 0-60mph is to floor the accelerator and get that turbo roaring. (aka "Launch Control"..... nope, I don't feel stupid enough to try that at the traffic lights...)
I'd say that the two cars are closer in performance terms that the figures would have you believe. Once the 45 is run-in, it might be a different story. (The difference in throttle response between ECO and S is impressive). I have tried to keep to the mandated running in limits, even so, the engine is free revving and eager to perform.
The 7 speed auto is, in my opinion, smooth, so I'd say its easier to drive. I've tried manual with the paddle shifts, but it accelerates so fast through the gears, that I'd rather let the box of tricks change gear. (Unless, of course, one wants to wake the neighbours ...)
Biggest difference between the 350z and the 45? (leaving out the obvious... 2 seater sports vs 4 seater SUVish)... the SOUND of the exhaust !!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've had my GLA45 for nearly two weeks now and have already driven 1100 miles in it (I drove to Germany in it yesterday). Sadly I can't say I've been achieving the same economy, I don't think I've seen it over about 29mpg. That being said, I've been driving it around Berkshire with small, country roads. The Autobahn didn't help either!
What a machine though; driving to Germany yesterday I was doing 120mph and the engine was just touching 3000rpm and not struggling at all. It was dark and wet so didn't get it past 125, but boy was it great fun.
I completely agree with the points on the COMAND system, it asked me if I wanted to stop for petrol on my Nav route, or stop somewhere nearer. The voice detection stuff is brilliant once set up too.
The Night Package in Mountain Grey, with the gloss black and the ambient lighting makes it look like something out of a Batman movie.
All in all, an incredible car. It's my first brand-new car, so that's exciting enough, but all of the guys at work are horrendously jealous!
Let's see how long it takes for me to get to 155mph!

·
Registered
8 Posts
With respect of my mpg figure, that was obtained on the M1 in the 50mph zone that stretches from just north of junction 18 to below junction 15. On the day that I did the return journey (186miles), 50mph was the maximum speed I was able to travel.
Around town I am lucky if I get 26mpg. The only way to get the Mercedes figure is to drive consistently at 50mph for the whole journey..... not terribly realistic is it?
Still, I sort of knew what I was letting myself in for... it was either this or a second hand 911... and the dog wouldn't fit in the 911.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok, now have a few more miles on the clock, not tried launch control just yet but getting ready to... However I have noticed two things which I will get checked out with the MB main dealer but wondered if anyone else with the 45 AMG has noticed.Firstly I have a "tinny" vibration which sounds like the exhaust, albeit mainly in comfort mode, I am convinced its a "heat shield" or general exhaust type mounting sound, nothing too bad but not what I would expect from such a car.Secondly, now its getting a bit chilly I have noticed when I start the car and wait for the warm up as prescribed, the exhaust gasses seem to be coming out of the (as viewed directly from the back) on the left hand bank of tail pipes and nothing from the right? The on-line view of the exhaust suggests both sets of pipes are connected and act as outlets, i.e not a fake pair like some manufacturers do. Any other comments/views on both of these?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm an aircraft engineer, not a car engineer, but given how complex exhaust systems are these days, it wouldn't surprise me if they only send the flow through both rear boxes (do you have two?) at high revs. This would minimise corrosion from condensation at low temperatures, as one box would heat up quicker. If you only have one rear box, it maybe that the natural through-put of gases favour one exit over the other at tickover. Alternatively I could be talking complete bollox as I'm on the Friday wine already!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had noticed that only the passenger side exhaust has any black deposits around it; the driver's side is still shining. Looking underneath, the exhaust splits to both sides; I'll defer to the comment by RoyTheBoy.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts