Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is keen on the GLA.

She's not a "petrol head" in anyway so is happy with a basic engine option. In the UK that seems to be a choice between a 1.6 156bhp petrol or a 2.1 136bhp diesel.

All the reviews I can find online seem to say the GLA 200 was diesel only at launch and that the engine is alright (if a little rough). I assume this changed recently. I can't find anything on the petrol option online (aside from basic specs on the M-B website).

So can anyone give any help on choosing the best option?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think everyone expects buyers will opt for the diesel so never bother with an indepth review. I'm sure the engine is the same as the A-Class? You might have better luck finding a review for that model instead.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is there not only one petrol option in the uk - the 250 with the 2.1 litre engine? There are definitely reviews of it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey there,

I have just ordered the GLA200 in petrol and manual gearbox, its a new addition to the line up
I have not driven it though only tested the 200 diesel which was nice but a bit sluggish and noisy so hoping the petrol with 156PS will be quitter and nippier!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, I've been driving a GLA 200 petrol (manual gearbox) for over 2 years (was one of the first cars off the production line)... so far all has been okay (apart from some issues with trim, seats and more general stuff), the only engine issue I had at first was the noisy fuel injection system which sounded like a ticking noise when running. Most petrol cars I've driven in the past haven't had this, MB said it was due to the direct injection system but again I never had this with my second to last car which was also direct injection. Overall the petrol engine is smooth and quiet active on both start up and motorways, I've regularly driven across europe to the the north of England in a day and not had any issues. The engine is well suited to the GLA and the car drives well without any slack or sluggish responses. I don't like the diesel noise or the turbo 'lag' that I found when test driving the GLA 200d, so I opted for the petrol. It's not that expensive to run either, I can drive from Brussels to Carlisle on one tank of petrol easily. As a side note I did have a problem with the gear changes when a whining noise appeared at low gear when driving from stopped, MB replaced the system and now its perfect so it may just have been a duff unit and not a GLA 200 petrol issue...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi,
I had my GLA200 petrol delivered 2nd Sept so a month in now,,, excellent car and a great engine.

initially I only tested the 200D early this year and my MB dealer advised there was no 200 petrol available then, and tbh I wasn't impressed with the diesel it was noisy and felt sluggish, Only when we starting looking again in May/June we were advised on the apparently all new 1.6 turbo petrol engine which we ordered without driving.I also could not find a single review of this car!
I can now say it is definitely quieter and smoother then the diesel, plenty of power and very economical so far. so really glad we went with it.
here is a pic of it below

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi.
Newbie here, also just ordered the Urban Edition 1.6 petrol (without driving one:surprise:) on the basis that 90% of our driving is round the doors in town, not suitable for diesel and all that!
What sort of mpg are you getting? Ours is an Auto.
Glad to hear you like it.
Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts