Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MB seem quite certain that the GLA 45 can go 12,000 miles WITHOUT an oil change. They say that only the C63 needs one after the run-in period.
Fellow GLA 45 owners, will you wait 12,000miles or will you stump up for a change after, say, 2000miles?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm also a GLA250 owner, but I would say that if anyone knows what they're talking about when it comes to their engines, MB AMG should!

The oil in the engine will doubtless be fully-synthetic, so it will last much longer than standard oil, with next-to-no degradation over a couple of years or more. And the build quality of engines these days means that the amount of metal in the oil after run-in will be absolutely minimal - certainly not enough to damage what must be one hugely robust lump.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I know some people who change their oil every few months and then you get BMW where the cars 'tell you' when they need the oil changing and happens only every 20,000 miles or so!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I too thought 12000 was high but if MB state this then I will stick with it, I have a service package anyway and we all have the standard warranty, so if MB have got it wrong it will be at there cost!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Would have traded it in and bought new one by then!Seriously though, as stated by Roytheboy, today's modern engines and lubricants are far more advanced with much increased longevity even in high performance engines, and with brand protection always on MB's mind I am sure that the stated 12000 is not something they would have quoted lightly.

·
Registered
0 Posts
The specs for oil change were made for moderate environment and UK is hardly an extreme environment- it it were in other places eg higher humidity or very high temp then it's a good idea to change at lower mileage then recommended

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've run synthetic in my Ford truck for 18 years, and I'm a believer. I've had to have work done on the engine, but it has been minimal for an eighteen year old truck. MB USA has us changing the oil every 10,000 miles. It's hard to wait 10,000 miles, changing the oil is engrained in me. I had always heard about blow-by in turbo engines and I guess that has been addressed, along with other turbo nightmares I'd heard of from the past like problems with cool down. Blow-by was all the crap and carbon that blew by the rings because of higher compression. Years ago, guys I knew with turbos (a few, mainly race cars) changed their oil often. I really want to change the oil, but I'm not going to. I do however, want to see what it looks like when they dump it the first time. Changing the oil is a relative cheap process when you consider the positive effect on the engine.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've run fully synthetic engine oil since 1985. One can change the engine oil at lower mileage than stated in the MB manual. It's better to do that. For me either 12000 km or 12 months whichever comes first.

·
Registered
0 Posts
yes will wait for the 1st service even when I had a cayman it was 20000 miles for 1st oil change dealer informed it is not necessary and will not avoid warranty.... so save your money...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Ajdar said:
I've run fully synthetic engine oil since 1985. One can change the engine oil at lower mileage than stated in the MB manual. It's better to do that. For me either 12000 km or 12 months whichever comes first.
I follow this way as well and have had zero problems with any of the cars I've own in the past. :)
Cheers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts