Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi allI have had my2014 GLA 250 its done 1000 miles , I had a b class rental recently and I noticed that when I turned off the ignition and my seatbelt was off and opened the door the handbrake , if it wasn't already on , it was appliedI asked my dealer and he said it was not an option on the GLA , yet the owners manual says it is , and its a safety featureDo other members GLAs do this ?many thanks everyone

·
Registered
0 Posts
I know if you double tap the break to activate hold then turn off the engine the handbrake is applied for you but I will test your theory tomorrow!

·
Registered
55 Posts
My GLA250 does not automatically apply the parking brake if you turn off the ignition, remove the seatbelt and open the door. However, the gearbox does move to the Park position, which is just as effective as the parking brake, I believe.

The manual says:
"The electric parking brake is automatically applied when the transmission is in position P and: the engine is switched off, or the driver is not wearing a seat belt and the driver's door is opened."

So you are correct: the car's behaviour does not match the manual's explanation!

·
Registered
0 Posts
My GLA 200 puts the hand brake when you switch the engine off and frankly I find that pretty useful. However there needs to be an override somewhere as here in some car parks they allow double parking and you are supposed to leave your car in neutral so it can be pushed to allow the inner car out.That said I always avoid such parking as don't want someone pushing my car

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks allI always forget to apply the handbrake and even though its in park it always moves a bitI always thought it was bad for auto boxes to have the "weight" of the car held on the gearboxesalso if its a safetyfeature on one car normally it follows through the whole lineseems weird that some gla owners have this feature I have just had a software update for my car and the gearbox and engine performance has been improved dramatically , it was a bit bad before,changing gear at the wrong revs etc , like a different car nowmany thanks all

·
Registered
0 Posts
I try my GLA just now.If you stop your car & activated the auto-hold. Don't touch the gear selector, release the seat-belt & tune off the car & remove the key, the e-hand brake will be activated.
If you stop your car without activating the auto-hold & pressed the gar selector to engage the P gear, after you switch off the car, the car will just remained in P gear without the e-hand brake.
If you engaged the N gear before you switch off the car, it remained in N gear even after you switch off the car.
So, if you want everything auto, just be lazy, switch off the car immediately after stopped at auto-hold.

·
Registered
55 Posts
bigmouth said:
I try my GLA just now.If you stop your car & activated the auto-hold. Don't touch the gear selector, release the seat-belt & tune off the car & remove the key, the e-hand brake will be activated.
I can now confirm that my GLA250 behaves in the same way i.e. if you use the 'hold' function of the foot-break, then take the key out, the electronic brake is applied automatically. This is very similar, in a way, to my previous Mercs that had a foot-brake and a lever (in the same place as on the GLA) to release it. Personally I don't have a problem with any of this, as traditionally one either applied the hand-brake or one didn't - it's not rocket science! ...and you've always got the automated gearbox 'lock' as a safety net.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't have a problem applying the handbrakeeither but you would think that they should all be doing it or not.I would expect it from a Ford not a premium brand like Mercedes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree, but it's clearly a software-driven function, by software that, it would seem, is different for each model (which is probably why the GLA250s behave differently to the GLA220s), and which is being updated and rolled out on an ad hoc basis because the car is so new. I dare say that in a year's time, after we've all had our first service and software update, that we'll all have similar functionality, in accordence with whatever MB determines is the safest or most useful configuration.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
would of thought software differences would only affect engine management/fuel typeas that isthe only major difference between the models ? (not taking into account optional extras)and its chassis and most bits are based on the A Class you would think it wouldn't have this issuemany thanks for your replies

·
Registered
0 Posts
Yeah some things like the hand brake should be left alone. Don't see the need for an electronic handbrake. More reason for electronic problems and malfunctions. Buy one in a year and you'll get an MB with all the problems solved.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My previous car had everything you could think of electronic
Slowly all started going wrong

My favourite was the adaptive cruise that decided it saw something in the road and slammed the brakes on
2.5 tonnes from 50mph when your not expecting it

Or the power mirrors that decided to fold in on the motorway

·
Registered
2 Posts
There's a way to put it in neutral for being towed or those auto car wash conveyors if that's what you mean????

1 - 19 of 19 Posts