Mercedes GLA Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,Right. I don't know if I've got a case of a 'duff GLA', but mine has been back in for repair and come back considerably worse on the electronics than before it went in.Here's what happened:- ECO mode would not come on (turn green) when driving; regardless of the fact that the 28 checks which the engine runs would come back clear to start ECO- Reversing camera folded back up whilst reversing - I know I've got eyes, but if I wanted to use them, I wouldn't have bought this calibre of car
- When stopped, parking break applied, auto handbrake on, engine off, eject seatbelt and engine would turn back on!?Now, they have admitted a faulty battery sensor on the ECO functionand replaced this (along with the tensioner seal recall as mentioned) When *repaired*- Dash randomly went blindingly bright whilst driving and I had to pull over- Parking sensor went off whilst I was stopped at traffic lights. No wall, dogs or Greggs pastie bags to speak of- Dismal airflow through vents on full power...- ECO mode still not engaging correctly and on a 43 minute journey (on quite a warmish day, no frost) the green button of joy only appeared once and then quickly vanished back in to the abyss with the curious yellow replacing it.Just to make things clear, I drive carefully (achieving 54mpg) so it's not like i'm tearing it up and this is the reason for any of this to happen....(!)Sad

Edited by: p0ppet

·
Registered
0 Posts
Seems like MB is having many problems with electronic malfunctions and software problem. One good things is that you are achieving really good MPG for what the GLA boast.
Cheers!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be fair, I wanted to ease the car in gently (although it has been very hard not to put my foot down at times!) but all these issues are just so irritating! I have to send the car back for yet another repair - at 4 months old, i'm a little perturbed. I forgot to mention that the last time it went in for 'repair', they added 100 miles to my speedo without giving a valid explanation and have hummed and harred about why. They refused point blank to answer this question via email (which to me, would indicate that someone fancied a spin) and phoned me twice to discuss.I don't do things over the phone anymore. Email is the only way you can prove things going forward! If there's one thing I've learned, it's this!I'm glad to hear everyone else has had irritating electrical issues - I had a problem with the adaptive mainbeam assist too. It goes off at 30mph regardless of no cars. I don't know if this is because it thinks you're slowing down to stop and all 30mph areas are lit - But this definitely isn't so in the country where I live and I'd quite like to see in the dark, weirdly!!!

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I am another one for communicating over email, I like a paper trial. I have noticed a few companies then ring you back!!
I also communicate over email because it means I can do it at work, no personal calls allowed here!

·
Registered
5 Posts
350Mat said:
I am another one for communicating over email, I like a paper trial. I have noticed a few companies then ring you back!!
I also communicate over email because it means I can do it at work, no personal calls allowed here!
me too.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So. I have an update.
Mercedes Benz HO and dealership which I dealt with, couldn't give two flying monkeys about the issues I described. So I have now gone to a local dealership to book the car in as the car has developed yet 'another' fault.

The car has now started rolling backwards while in 1st gear!!! Example. I live in a hilly part of the country. So, I generally approach junctions with caution as I have to edge up to the give way and pull out like Flash Gordon. I approached aforementioned junction, let foot off accelerator to peruse the terrain and to my horror, I started rolling backwards when I reached about 6mph!!!!! There was a car behind me and luckily, I slammed my foot on the break but it freaked out the person behind me as well as me!
Oh another issue we have found... The car stalled. Yes. An automatic car managed to stall itself whilst crossing a dual carriageway.
I don't know how much more of this bullsh*t I can take to be honest. I have video evidence of this happening. It also rolls forward whilst in reverse. I intend to take all evidence of this to the dealership that has now taken over the case and will sit with them while they watch it. I WILL NOT BE IGNORED! THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE!

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi all
also having lots of problems with my 45 , collision prevention keeps going inactive been in 3 times now to main dealer in five months now every time i start the car and engage drive or reverse the fuel flap opens so i have to get out and close it but leave engine running or it does it again will be at dealer again later going to start shouting now

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Roytheboy, are you saying all the items here are covered in the manual!, don't think so.<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">Right. I don't know if I've got a case of a 'duff GLA', but mine has been back in for repair and come back considerably worse on the electronics than before it went in.<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;"><div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">Here's what happened:<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;"><div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">- ECO mode would not come on (turn green) when driving; regardless of the fact that the 28 checks which the engine runs would come back clear to start ECO<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">- Reversing camera folded back up whilst reversing - I know I've got eyes, but if I wanted to use them, I wouldn't have bought this calibre of car
<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">- When stopped, parking break applied, auto handbrake on, engine off, eject seatbelt and engine would turn back on!?<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;"><div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">Now, they have admitted a faulty battery sensor on the ECO functionand replaced this (along with the tensioner seal recall as mentioned)<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;"><div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">When *repaired*<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">- Dash randomly went blindingly bright whilst driving and I had to pull over<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">- Parking sensor went off whilst I was stopped at traffic lights. No wall, dogs or Greggs pastie bags to speak of<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">- Dismal airflow through vents on full power...<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">- ECO mode still not engaging correctly and on a 43 minute journey (on quite a warmish day, no frost) the green button of joy only appeared once and then quickly vanished back in to the abyss with the curious yellow replacing it.<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;"><div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">I am not suggesting every GLA has these issues obviously but does make one have second thoughts!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi nrmaidment. When you asked about getting some issues resolved, I simply read back one post and saw that you were replying to the 'roll-back' and stall issues. I remembered the fact that the roll-back was further discussed in depth and found to be mentioned in the manual, and it was to that discussion to which I was referring. I apologise if it seemed like I was trivializing or being dismissive of the extent of the issues that p0ppet has had with his car - I should have read the entire thread again

Incidentally, it took me a while to work out who had what issues with their car, as your post above reads like you are having all the same issues as p0ppet! If you are going to quote someone else's post, it would help if you could use the 'quote' button, so that we can all understand who said what

I personally have no problem with the 'roll-back' issue because even though I have driven MB automatics for many years, I have always instinctively pressed the brake pedal when waiting in gear, as it just seems the logically safe thing to do.

As for all p0ppet's other issues, I feel for him, I really do. It would indeed seem to me like he has a 'duff' car and I wish I could make things right for him! Clearly MB have let him down in lots of ways, and if his experience makes you want to cancel the order for your car then in this case they deserve the loss of business.

But to balance this one sad story, I offer my own experiences of a lovely car which has exceeded all my expectations and which has not developed any faults. I love my GLA 250 A-line like I loved my RS2000 back in the 80s - they are both what I'd call 'driver's cars'. My only complaint has been that the auto-dipping headlights auto-dip when the car drops below 28mph (I think it is), which is frightening if you are negotiating a tight bend on an unlit country road, but I now drive such roads on manual full-beam. Apart from that I have been very happy for the seven months I have owned the car. This forum is also full of other satisfied GLA owners, so I would suggest that you take more of an optimistic view, otherwise you'll start looking for problems when you take delivery, which will take the shine off the experience of owning a new Merc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry - did not realise what the quote button was, just did a copy and paste!, will know for next time.
I will not change my order, just surprised when you read some of the stories on here. I currently have a VW Passat which apart from being boring has had no faults whatsoever over nearly 4 years and 65,000miles.
Never had a Merc before and had this impression (unrealistic I know) that it would be perfect!
I decided to pick the GLA after being let down on a 3 series order with BMW and having a re-think and deciding that I wanted something different than the usual mid tier motorway mile muncher.
Lets hope the GLA is it for me!
(GLA 220 AMG line in Jupiter Red, with Premium & night pack and DAB)
Thanks, Nick.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nick, every car manufacturer has its horror stories every now and then, and every new car goes through a period of teething problems and rapid updates. My car seems to have escaped those initial issues, and it was built last autumn, so your new car should be well sorted by now, although I accept that one always takes a risk with anything that is technically complex and very new. If it's any consolation, I have owned new Mercs since 1986 and have never had a single fault develop on any car before it was about six years old.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
roytheboy said:
Hi nrmaidment. When you asked about getting some issues resolved, I simply read back one post and saw that you were replying to the 'roll-back' and stall issues. I remembered the fact that the roll-back was further discussed in depth and found to be mentioned in the manual, and it was to that discussion to which I was referring. I apologise if it seemed like I was trivializing or being dismissive of the extent of the issues that p0ppet has had with his car - I should have read the entire thread again

Incidentally, it took me a while to work out who had what issues with their car, as your post above reads like you are having all the same issues as p0ppet! If you are going to quote someone else's post, it would help if you could use the 'quote' button, so that we can all understand who said what
title="Wink" />

I personally have no problem with the 'roll-back' issue because even though I have driven MB automatics for many years, I have always instinctively pressed the brake pedal when waiting in gear, as it just seems the logically safe thing to do.

As for all p0ppet's other issues, I feel for him, I really do. It would indeed seem to me like he has a 'duff' car and I wish I could make things right for him! Clearly MB have let him down in lots of ways, and if his experience makes you want to cancel the order for your car then in this case they deserve the loss of business.

But to balance this one sad story, I offer my own experiences of a lovely car which has exceeded all my expectations and which has not developed any faults. I love my GLA 250 A-line like I loved my RS2000 back in the 80s - they are both what I'd call 'driver's cars'. My only complaint has been that the auto-dipping headlights auto-dip when the car drops below 28mph (I think it is), which is frightening if you are negotiating a tight bend on an unlit country road, but I now drive such roads on manual full-beam. Apart from that I have been very happy for the seven months I have owned the car. This forum is also full of other satisfied GLA owners, so I would suggest that you take more of an optimistic view, otherwise you'll start looking for problems when you take delivery, which will take the shine off the experience of owning a new Merc.
He is a she
and she has now got rid of the car which they are refusing to replace or refund. Despite it being back 4 times for repair. The dealership have been awful. Head Office have been less than helpful and its left me feeling ill that Mercedes seem to have lost the passion they once had for customer service.
My Intelligent Light System is displaying 'system inoperative' regardless which side it's set to and I've kind of had enough of the excuses and the bull. So it's solicitor time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry p0ppet
Speaking as a loyal MB customer who has recommended the marque to many others over the years, I feel somewhat ashamed that you have been let down in this way. A lot of these issues come down to how the dealership handle the situation as the middle-men, so I think you should name and shame the guilty party here. As for taking legal action: I wish you luck. Take no prisoners and please post back to let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I dealt with two dealerships. One in Dorset and one in Devon. I will not explicitly name as I am yet to hand out the court notice, however, I can say that in Dorset, I was taken in to an office after the Manager had seen the error on the ILS dash and he said that it wasn't there. He lied. In front of me to his manager. I felt sick. How could someone do that!?! Then to make matters worse, the original dealership in Devon also took me in to an office, listened to my issues and then advised that "we did have a massive injector problem not that long ago which caused chaos" to which I replied "stop deviating. We are here about my car. My car which doesn't work. Not your issue with injectors". I was then told that we can either do this "the messy way or the amicable way" by the dealer principle. How the hell do you take that!? That's a threat. A threat which my evidence will challenge and that I will not be put off by a silly little man in a suit dictating that it'll get messy. I'll show them messy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That is appalling, and completely at odds with all my experiences of multiple MB dealerships in Germany, the Netherlands and the UK (I have bought from all three countries in the past). My only complaint about dealerships is that some of them refuse to budge on prices because they don't want you to play one in their group against another. But if you go to an independent dealership such as in Beconsfield, they are more than happy to negotiate in order to keep you happy and gain your custom. This is what I did and I am more than happy to recommend that particular dealership. I am staggered to hear about your experiences of arrogance and threats - show them messy by all means, but don't think that all dealerships are like that; they aren't.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bad experience :( I will never touch them again due to my first experience at two different places falling nothing short of hell. I'm sure there are nice dealerships out there, but I'm begrudged to say that BMW have been nothing short of a miracle away from Mercedes... I went for the Mercedes over the BM but I'm back to the BMW and long may it last while my Mercedes sits on the drive and gathers dust.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts