Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one fitted a dash cam to their GLA.... looking at getting one so many muppets on the roads today..might even help on the insurance :)Awaiting for delivery on this item Mini 0806 Ambarella A7 1296P Car Dash Camera DVR With GPS +Hardwire +CPL +32GB http://www.ebay.com/itm/311280649598?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AITLittle info on fitting would be nice best position to put it on the screen... what fuse to tap off from the passenger footwell fuse box.

·
Registered
0 Posts
could not agree more so bought a fairly low cost one as a trial, suction mount next to mirror, with power cable routed to rear 12v socket, tucks in nicely in door trim, performance good enough, don't pay more than £100, not worth the extra gizmos /performance according to IAM research.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
installed today using the mini blade tap with beige 5 amp fuse on fuse 107 radio in passenger footwellwith hard wire circuit protector cabling included with the Dash Cam and CPL lens and 32 gb micro sd card, take off the side panel on front dash passenger side and long cover for windscreen take out the plastic airbag connector using trim tool prise away pull up to top of screen... all cabling will fit neatly along to centre light console unit, due to the size of mine different options I put it below it dead centre and put most of the cable inside the plastic housing... only thing I do is switch off the dash cam before locking the car... will switch on when I start the car.... so I might later check other fuses when I have time... or it could be the settings on the dash camera need changing... all in all very happy with it... now to see if my insurance will give me a 10% discount as I only know Swiftcover do...

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Does it not protect the car when parked? One of the ones I looked at detected if the car was hit and then automatically started recording.
Anyway, what's the picture quality like? Can you make out cars and their registration numbers clearly enough?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes it does protect the car when parked, manufacturer is now making a gps parking guard mount for this function when you hard wire your car.... plenty of videos on utube

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
The car park monitoring system would be useful. Is the camera concealed enough so that thieves don't see it to pinch it?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The parking guard mount is not available at present... being produced you can disconnect the camera from the mount very easily..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check out my post from last year...>>>
I recently fitted a 120° dash-cam to the inside of my GLA, it's a Next
Base 402G Professional, it's a higher spec model that also offers static
recording when you're away from your car via infa-red sensor,
G-sensor/GPS for speed, role and positioning should the worst ever
happen, plus the usual cam things...

The GLA has a perfect
fitting spot just behind the interior mirror, most cameras can fit here
(I tried a few out first before buying mine to be sure it fitted okay).
The power cable slips up to the passenger sunvisor and clips behind it
neatly (with some 1€ clips). Then the cable runs along to the door frame
rubber, where it fits underneath and then runs all the way down to the
inner foot panel. After that you push it behind the lower panels so it's
out of sight before it resurfaces at the ashtray lighter to be plugged
in. You can wire it into your system, but I like to keep my system
mobile.

The view is pretty good, the GLA bonnet is barely
visible plus the window pillars give a nice clear wide view for the
camera. If you are thinking about a dash-cam then you shouldn't have any
problems with fitting one to the GLA as it's windscreen is perfect for a
basic systems up to the more expensive wide lense models... you can see
the screen grab from the film how wide it is (there's actually more on
the right side but my screen cut it off)...

·
Registered
0 Posts
I went for a NextBase 402g pro. A little pricey and it does chomp through 32gb mini sd but for 1080p with sound, I think that's fair! I only got one to prove to Mercedes that all the issues I'd talked about were there and have indeed succeeded in that, but they are refusing to help by doing what I'm legally entitled to. Hey ho. Let's go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts