Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to get the convenience opening/closing feature to work. The idea is you continue to hold the lock/unlock button down on the remote and the windows close/open.
Page 99 of the manual.
Anyone got it to work?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Having had this feature on my last car, I just tried it out on the GLA. If I lock the car with the windows open, and keep my thumb on the button, all the windows close. To get them all to open, you need to press the unlock button a second time, keeping the button pressed on the second go.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that roytheboy. Doesn't work for me sadly.
Car is booked into a dealer next week so will ask then (the dealer that supplied the car signed the car off despite not fitting the "dealer fit" options!).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Let us know how you get on; I just tried this on my GLA 45 and it doesn't work either.
I pressed the "open" button, then pressed it again holding it down, and nothing happens.
Neither does anything happen when I try to close the windows using the key fob either.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've just tried again and it didn't work either way. Then I opened and closed the doors and tried various re-presses of the buttons and got it to work both ways. I suspect there are 'rules' in play here that we need to understand, like, the car door needs to have been opened before the feature will work, or something like that. I'll be interested to hear what those 'rules' are.

·
Registered
8 Posts
..... we need a flowchart.....

Ok, there is definitely a sequence here.
I point the fob at the car and "unlock", then "unlock" and hold... nothing
I open the door, put the key in the ignition, turn and open a window.Remove key, shut door, and "lock", then "lock" again and hold.... window closes.
Now I "unlock" and "unlock" and hold... all windows open.
Now I "lock" and "lock" again, all windows close.
Walk back indoors, and try to repeat.... nothing happens...... opening the door seems to do the trick..
.... which is "illogical".... since I open the door, enable the electrics, shut the door, then open the windows.... er... but I would be sitting in the car by then listening to the engine..
Annoyingly, I can open the boot from inside the house..... but I cannot close it without going outside. I sort of get that...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm glad it's not just me struggling to understand ;)

WRT the boot/hatch, bear in mind that if you open it on the key from locked, then close it, it will lock (just like the boot in my previous C-Classes). So make sure your keys are in your pocket, not in the boot!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that.My head hurts ;)
I'm pretty sure I tried putting the key in the ignition, opening a window, removing key, shut door and doing lock/lock but nothing happened.
The manual says something about pointing the key at the drivers door lock to make it work.
Trying to get it to work will probably take more time than I'll ever save by using it... but it's becoming a matter of principle ;)
p.s. I've had the car for two weeks and just found out I can get the manual on my phone which is handy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow.... which one of you still bears a passing resemblance to the photo

30 years ago, I was permitted to drive my father's Hillman Hunter; a car like that was way out of my league.
I doff my hat to you Sir!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was an overpaid, oversexed RAF technician, and a year after this pic was taken I bought my first (tax free) Merc 190E, which was as new to the UK then, as the GLA is now. I'm worse for wear now and don't have much hair left, but I still try to enjoy life to the full :)

I miss my RS though

So, about those windows that open and close...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ah! That it explains it then... though as someone who aspired to be a pilot (when younger) and finding out that being deaf was a no-no, I don't think anyone in the RAF is overpaid... no comment on the over-sex part.. but I doubt that too...

I am well and truly flummoxed by the windows; I am obviously too dim to own a GLA. I shall attend my local dealership for a spot of owner training (assuming that they know how to get it to work WITHOUT opening the doors first )
I didn't have this problem with the BMW....Now you have me wondering if I spent 3 years driving the CLS without realising I could have shut the windows remotely... RTFM I hear you say? Pardon... Pardon

·
Registered
8 Posts
I tend to avoid looking at pictures of myself from 30 years ago; I swear its a different person....
Still have hair, but it's a fetching colour of grey.

·
Registered
55 Posts
...let's see an embarrassing 80's picky then

Yes, if my C230 had this feature then your CLS would almost certainly have had it too

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can I pass on the lifestyle photo? I.e. I am normally the one behind the lens not in front of it... therefore, I do not have many (if any) photos of myself from that era!!<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">
<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">Ok, those pesky windows.. I think I have it solved.<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">
<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">Without having previously unlocked the car door and not having inserted the key into the ignition, if I point the key fob at the arrowed area, I can open and shut the windows and roof.<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">
<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">If I stand on the other side of the car (which means I have no direct line of sight of this sensor), nothing happens. I can get this to work consistently when I am standing next to the driver's door......

1 - 20 of 29 Posts