Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody been able to set up their GLA to access the ConnectMe Remote online services such as
<ul ="ul1">
<li ="li1">Remote Retrieval of Vehicle Status
<li ="li1">Remote Door Locking and Unlocking
<li ="li1">Live Traffic Information[/list]I picked up my new GLA last week and I have the Command system, so presumed that I would be able to available - I've looked to register for these services, and entered my VIN, so would have expected that they could cross refer to check that you can use them
I had a chat with the dealer today, who suggested that not available on GLA yet, but have seen forums (in French) suggesting that available on the CLA.I thought the GLA came after the CLA?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I knew nothing about ConnectMe Remote prior to reading this thread, but I wouldn't worry too much about not having it. I've watched the videos and although the whole system sounds awfully 'tech' and modern, you will already have most of the features in your Command system. ConnectMe Remote just seems to bring them together in a fancy package and removes the need for you to connect your phone because it appears to have its own mobile data connection - but that will probably, I'm guessing, require an annual contract with a telecom provider. As for all the fancy diagrams about 'secure data encryption' and the like, this is all very standard stuff for any mobile app that uses SSL (the https protocol), which nearly all do.

Emergency Call (through your phone) and vehicle diagnostics logging (that a service centre can download) has been part of Command and all MB cars for years; and MB apps also comes with Command (using your phone to connect through the data connector). The Command sat nav has a brilliant traffic feature that looks ahead of your route and changes it to suit conditions - and I can tell you that it works very well indeed.

Things you don't already have (with a phone in the car) is the ability to lock your car from your phone, but if you're the sort of person who forgets to lock your car, you'll probably also forget to lock it from your phone too. And then there's the one feature that probably would be useful if you don't have an integral garage like I do, and that's being able to warm your car up on cold mornings from the comfort of your home - but it's not the end of the world to run out to the car and back again.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Warm up feature is for cars with the pre heating system. Not available in the UK

With connect me the car also sends data regarding any faults to your local dealer where your car is registered.
Worn brake pads, low level coolant, oil etc.

In effect it will let "daddy" know he/she it not feeling well

For example It will let you know if you have a puncture before you get ready to set off via the TPMS link.

Currently £150 for 3 years if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The car is already equipped to tell you, the driver, if the slightest thing is wrong, so I don't see a huge advantage in the dealer knowing about it at the same time, other than they might be able to better diagnose the problem before you arrive at their door, or before they send the Mobilo van man round to have a look. Similarly with the puncture scenario, the dash display will tell you if you have a puncture when you start the car up. <cynicism>It's good for your dealer as it gives them the opportunity to contact you about sorting things out, before you might have already contacted another MB dealership nearby.</cynicism>

It's all good 'tech' stuff - don't get me wrong - I'm just saying that I don't think it's a game changer, or that you have an inferior car if it doesn't have ConnectMe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The sad eejit in me would like to have all the bells and whistles in a car that I've specced up accordingly. I tried to get the same level of tech in the car as I would have in a 1 series that I was also considering.
I though I had ticked that box when I was ordering - but have found that what I though I was ordering was not necessarily translated by the person putting the order through on the MB systems

NTT, I presume you've got this functionality working. Did you have to do anything apart from sign up for the services online?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Unfortunately not. The GLA model will get it from November 2015 build date onwards.

You can check your tyre pressure BEFORE you even get into the car, likewise any fault.

It Will come in handy if you are perhaps running late and will therefore be able to carry out your checks whilst having breakfast.

All you then have to do is use your other car😀😀

1 - 7 of 7 Posts