Mercedes GLA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got any great ideas on keeping the chrome exhaust tips clean? Especially important on the quad tips on my 45 and of course with the exhaust only exiting the near side on warm up the gunge is already building up!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thinking back to when I was a lad with a push-bike, I used to clean any chrome with traditional chrome cleaner, then smear Vaseline onto said surfaces. Future cleaning was then simply a matter of wiping the dirty Vaseline off with a rag, and applying some afresh.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny that, as soon as I posted I remembered the vaseline trick, just wondered if there were any new ideas before making the trip to the Wilko's!

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Vaseline is a neat idea. I've tried the Meguires stuff before but it doesn't really help a lot and the pipes still become black to the point of being unable to shift it.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
A wire brush will shift baked on stuff but will scratch the hell out of it. Better not to let it get into that state really.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Use Autosol. £6 a tube from Halfords. Used it for years. Put some on the exhaust tip an spread it about. Leave for a bit (10-20 mins) and then buff off. It will look like brand new.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just did mine with Autosol... tip, don't leave it 3 months before cleaning... it's a bugger to get all the deposits off..
http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/car-care-products/metal-polishes.aspx
I fear I could become addicted to cleaning products.... some of the videos on cleaning cars are amazing!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts