Mercedes GLA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I am running a B class; however I assume this unit has the same design in both classes.
I am amazed how poor the design of this unit is - the layout really does appear to have been an afterthought.
The USB connection is deep down on the flat front-face of the internal 'box' (as is the other connection) and, once you have plugged in your device, then it helps to interfere with that internal space so that anything you have stored in there has to be moved aside. Additionally, it is rather difficult to even see the location of the plug.
However high at the rear of that storage unit, is a recessed area which can clearly be seen and would have been an ideal site for those 2 plugs. That's what I call pathetic design !
To add to the stupidity of that unit, it is marginally too small to successfully store a significant number of CD cases.

Edited by: Dave Irvine

·
Registered
55 Posts
In MB's defence, the 'box' is intended for telephones, not CDs, and as such has a bracket fixing point near the top. It may be that some of the different brackets would place a phone too close to the USB if was higher. There are loads of other storage places in the GLA - too many to remember. Also, the rear wall of the telephone box has an ashtray and ventilation duct immediately behind it i.e. no space for the rear of the socket and its wiring, which probably extends a few inches. Personally, I don't have a problem with the position of the USB as I only used it to load up the hard drive with music on day one - I doubt if I'll touch it again. With the 10GB hard disk storage and an 8GB media card in the slot, plus what the BlueTooth finds on my 32GB iPhone, I think it'll be a long time before I run out of music to play.

Now, if you want to talk about poor design, let's talk about the fact that UK cars are stuck with the kph indicator on the dash instead of being able to select mph or the outside temperature ...Grrrrrr!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can see that if one doesn't have the option of transferring the contents of the USB to the internal storage, then it will be a pain to leave it in the socket and run the risk of "knocking" it out when one puts other items in the compartment.
Just curious, is there actually an option to have a CD changer? It's in the guide, but I've not seen one. But then, with the 10GB disc, it would be superfluous.

Here's a gripe.
With the column mounted paddles on the GLA 45, turning on the rear wiper is fiddly; you have to have dexterous digits.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I can cope with the rear wiper control okay, but I keep engaging the cruise control instead of turning on the indicators. I thought I'd get used to it but I did it again today!

WRT the rear wiper control, be aware that the tumbler switch is exactly that, and has a lever on the back as well as the front of the stalk. Personally, I just move my hand over the entire stalk and then feel for the lever on both sides of the tumbler before rotating it clockwise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tip for the USB plug, I've added a shallow shelf element that sits just above the socket so that nothing can interfere with the plug, you can then use the space to the side for smaller items that can be accessed by lifting it out... I keep petrol cards and similar in the space next to the plug... you can also run the cable out of the box by using the groove on the right side (drivers side in the UK) as this doesn't damage/squash the cable... you can them plug in your phone without having to leave it in the box...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought one too. Good find. It fits perfectly, although i had to widen the cable access hole to allow my media interface cable to fit through (just a little filing did the trick). It's fine for a usb/iphone but not wide enough for the iphone/media cable.

·
Registered
55 Posts
MercMan said:
I bought one too. Good find. It fits perfectly, although i had to widen the cable access hole to allow my media interface cable to fit through (just a little filing did the trick). It's fine for a usb/iphone but not wide enough for the iphone/media cable.
Which iPhone model and media cable is it not big enough for, please?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i got mine with the car but it is really for iPhone 4, hence the adapter. I could buy one specifically (assuming we are talking about the media interface and not just the usb connection) for iPhone 6 i suppose but just unnecessary cash. I'm sure if you have a lightning cable it will fit through the gap ok. To be honest i nearly didn't bother making it fit as i only really use the cable to charge my phone (occasionally) but i'm a bit ocd and want everything to work/fit, even if i don't use it :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts