Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An internal Mercedes-Benz memo to its U.S. dealers has leaked which confirms Apple’s CarPlay infotainment system will be supported in a number of 2016 model year vehicles.

Here's the Mercedes-Benz Lineup of U.S. CarPlay-Supported Vehicles for 2016

MacRumors:

CarPlay can be controlled using the central controller or touchpad, if equipped, on supported Mercedes-Benz vehicles. Siri voice commands can be activated by pressing the voice control button on the steering wheel.

Compatible iPhone will need to be plugged into a specific USB port on supported Mercedes-Benz vehicles. CarPlay will be a completely different interface than that of the vehicle’s normal interface:

The customer will not be able to use the Mercedes-Benz headunit functions at the same time as CarPlay®. For example, use of the Spotify app cannot be done simultaneously with COMAND Navigation.

Buyers of the 2016 CLA, GLA and B-Class vehicles with a December 1, 2015 production date or later will be able to get CarPlay as a standalone $350 package or “Multimedia Package with Smartphone Integration” upgrade.

Buyers of 2016 E400 Coupe, E550 Coupe, E400 Cabriolet, E550 Cabriolet and CLS400 Coupe vehicles with a December 1, 2015 production date or later will need to spring for the “Premium 1” or “Premium 2” equipment package ($3,650-$4,080)

CarPlay is a standard feature with COMAND Navigation in 2016 CLS550 Coupe and CLS63 S Coupe models with a December 1, 2015 production date or later, and 2016 GLE400, GLE450 Coupe, GLE63 and GLE63 S models with a January 8, 2016 production date or later.
Wonder if it would be available as an post sale upgrade on a mid 2015?:nerd:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not impressed with the Apple carplay in my GLA. If the phone is connected, you can't use the Garmin built in NAVI system at all. You're forced to use the Apple Maps App which won't work at all as it just continuously says there is no internet - even on a full 4G signal. A complete waste of time,you should be able to switch to the built in NAVI system that works perfectly well.

I have two DAB radio apps (radio player & Absolute's own app) on the phone which both work perfectly well when not plugged into carplay. However, once connected, the Absolute app does not display in the menu at all - it will work if you start the app before connecting to the carplay system, but if you back out of it for any reason, it can't be started again from the carplay controls. The radioplayer app does work through the carplay system, but often goes silent when losing signal, which seems to hang the app frequently, requiring the app to be shutdown on the phone before trying again, or even rebooting the phone.

The other day I couldn't get a 3G or 4G signal on my phone once connected to carplay, it sayed like this for more than 30 mins, until I disconnected the phone and the signal miraculously appeared.

The whole system seems a bit unstable to me at this point, distinctly unimpressed.

Anyone else have similar issues, or does it all work well for you?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah, I think it needs the ability to be connected to carplay but switch between the two systems. I think I've heard others complain of this too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts