Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

This is a shout out to owners and MB savvy people out there. I'm really in need of help to finally decide on which engine should I go for in my GLA.

I've been looking into buying a GLA for the last few months, but now that I got the money and I'm decided I'm still unsure about the engine and whether it makes sense going for an AWD.

I live in a city in Switzerland where I would drive very short distances every day (10,000-20,000 km yearly) and I would occasionally do highway drives - lasting for 30 ,minutes or so - twice a month. In winter months I would also go to the mountain driving on icy roads and some uphill trails with some snow. During the summer I would do a 1000km road trip.

Basically, I know that a 4matic version would be good to have, but not indispensable for my driving needs. Within my budget I can afford a 200CDI 4matic or a 200 petrol version.

As for equipment I plan to order it in White, with sunroof, simlicuir, reverse camera, comfort heated seats, dab, and 18" tires.

My considerations are residual values, and the perennial question of whether going for petrol or diesel.

I'm not an advanced car buyer clearly - that's why I appeal to your collective knowledge. Your advice will be highly appreciated.

Safe driving,

M
Edited by: CosmoGLA

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome to the forum, M. If you need to tackle mountain roads in the snow and ice then you definitely need an AWD car with a set of winter wheels and tyres. See my post here for how well the GLA copes with such conditions > http://www.glaownersclub.co.uk/forum/so-the-gla-is-it-any-good-in-the-snow_topic218.html

With regards to the engine type, the only petrol version we have in the UK is the GLA250, so I know nothing about the GLA200 petrol model, but before I bought my GLA250 I did a lot of research into the 'petrol vs diesel' debate, and one of the things that cropped up time and again is that diesel engines are only economical on long runs, and that repeated short journeys are not good for a diesel engine, specifically with regards to filters and general wear and tear.

I too make regular short journeys to and from my nearest town - 6 miles away - and I too have to drive through mountainous terrain in the winter, so the fact that I ended up buying a petrol powered, GLA 4matic tells you what conclusions I came to as to what was the best model for my particular environment.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Welcome along, if it wasn't for the face you said you wanted to drive in the mountains at winter I'd have said you would be fine with 2wd but if that's your plan then AWD is a must.
It's difficult but from what I've read you need to cover around 30k km a year to make a diesel pay for itself. I'm told it does hold its value better but with petrol prices dropping who knows what will happen in 3 years time....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went for the CDI 200 4matic in the end. I'm sure that throughout my entire ownership, at best I'll get to use 2% of its AWD capabilities, but I'm nonetheless happy for the choice. I also had to put aside my noise concerns - and diesel filter apprehensions - as a compromise for the price difference in relation to the 250.I've some serious waiting to do though - delivery date is by June 2015.Optimistically, I'll report back in its sand performance this summer. If unlucky, next winter on its performance in moderate ski-town snow.I still have some questions on the different trimmings that could come with. But I'll address them elsewhere.Have a good drive.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Personally, I would wait until the end of the year before purchasing a GLA. I like to see feed back and learn about the car first. A lot of problems will come up and be worked out during this year. You'll be able to get a better understand of the GLA through the forums and get a car with less problems from the start.
Cheers

·
Registered
0 Posts
I think you made a good choice with 4WD. Having driven a 4WD for over 10 years, I can say that the power transfer goes in action in sometimes unexpected places. I also believe that in Switzerland 4WD cars are more common. So it will probably be easier to sell if you renew your car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts