Mercedes GLA Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I have just received my GLA 200 CDI last Friday.I took it for a drive last night , during the journey I could smell something burning, I didn't think much of it and just turned on the AC.When I got home it looked as though there was smoke coming from the bonnet, there was no warning lights or anything on.I have not yet opened the bonnet, as it was late last night.Any ideas what to look for? Or should I just call the dealership to sort it out.I don't think the radiator is dry as its lest than 1 week old.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The chances are very high that it's just a sticky label on a part that gets hot (e.g. the exhaust), or a bit of oil or grease in a similar location. Every new car has such smells the first time it is taken on a proper run. Take a look under the bonnet and make sure everything looks as it should i.e. no obvious signs of damage. However, if you are worried, drive to any MB dealership and ask them to take a look (let them know you're coming, so that they have the opportunity to come to you if they wish), and if it happens again on the way, and you see more than a tiny bit of smoke, stop and call out the Mobilo service - it's part of what you pay for when you buy a Merc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree with Roytheboy, It's likely to be some fluid burning off a hot component, but don't take any risks. if you see a small amount ofsmoke, see if you can see where it's coming from.

·
Registered
0 Posts
My gla did an engine regen after 120 miles the dealer said it was nothing to worry about freaked the misses out. Which resulted in not driving it for a number of weeks, smoke was billowing from under bonnet and car and smelt really hot. An engine regen is normally done when on a journey and you should not notice anything or smell anything but with such a new vehicle and the wax on the engine the heat it produces caused this to happen, However MB could not figure why it done it after such low mileage. Apart from that all well, or so I fault !! We then realised the premium pack was missing and the bi Xeon etc... MB are building another new vehicle and due very soon, lots of apologies from MB

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow. This is amazing. My wife has just freaked out for exactly the same reasons with our 100 mile old GLA220D. Booked Mobilio recovery for tomorrow morning but having read this suspect it is exactly the same issue. My wife is reading this over my shoulder and she is quite right. Whether it is a piece of paper stuck to an exhaust or not, if should not smoke. MB should remove the paper before it leaves the factory and save all these ladies from the anxiety. I must admit when I saw the plumes of smoke billowing from the bonnet I was reminded of when my alternator smouldered to self destruction in my 911. It doesn't smell like paper as the smoke is pretty white and acrid.
Either way it's reassuring to know we are not alone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Smoke

I had a similar problem, smoke billowed into the car forcing me to stop and I got the car recovered. It turned out to be a plastic bracket used in the fitting of a part around the exhaust area that should have been removed in the factory had melted under the heat of driving, the subsequent smoke from this event was quite impressive. The car was checked out by the dealer and the melted plastic was removed. I got a simple sorry off the dealership for my ruined morning and inconvenience .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well the explanation from the dealer was suitably vague about a 'regen' brought about by the new catalytic converter and the diesel particulate filter. The fact it had been in a lot of start/stop traffic immediately prior to the incident left them a suspicion that a normal regen process had been interrupted and this was it 'catching' up in a burst.

To be honest my hunch based on the amount and location of the free flowing smoke would be with a melting plastic bracket prognosis by RDP.

Probably a new employee on the production line forgetting this little step in the process.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had the same issue with my GLA 220CDI happened strangely on Sundays with about 150 to 200 miles on the clock was concerning, dealership said it was to do with the catalytic convertor as grinnders mentioned. would have been useful to have been warned about this on delivery, if it is common thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There seems to be a similar theme with my new GLA, with 300 miles on the clock my wife return tonight saying she smelt smoke. When I checked it , thinking she had left the handbrake on, I couldn't trace anything, other than the front suspension on both sides being really warm.
Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a burning smell as well having done less than 100 miles. Thought it was odd but no smoke etc. My previous new cars (non-Mercs) never had such experiences.
Yeah could just be fluid burn off or something else..
Thanks for sharing :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone had a 'clunk and judder' accompany the burning smell

Burning smell on mine about 1000 miles in preceded by a clunk and judder at low speed. I was fed the line about a 're-generating catalytic converter' by the merc assist service. All I could smell at that point was bullshit.

Overall, I'm not loving the car - crap ergonomics and unrefined engine with weird gearing. My 5 year old C-class 220 was a better drive ☹

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just happened to me on a week old GLA220D, only 200 miles on the clock. A really strong rubber burning smell entered the cabin after only a short drive. The dealership did explain to me this could happen at any time, and was due to the chemicals used to treat the engine at production would clog the DPF and cause a regen to take place when driving in on the first 1500 miles.

It makes sense as last nights trip home the car felt sluggish, I was forewarned by the dealership but I didn't expect it would be quiet so bad as experienced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Happened today on my two week old 220d aswell only done 170 miles from new pulled up at home and smoke was coming from under the bonnet and a strong smell of burning me got my lad to have a look as he fix's aircraft engines for a living but couldnt find anything that looked out of place only the smoke was coming from the rear of the engine bay where the exhaust manifold is situated so probably as previous posts just something burning off a hot area will keep a eye on it for a few days a see what happens but havent had any problems on my previous e class which i also bought new or any other MB ive had before.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, new to the forum after purchasing a GLA 220d and taking delivery on Wednesday 23rd November. And after just 200 miles and a short trip out today had my wife panicking as smoke bellowed from the engine bay and there was an acrid smell of burning plastic. Got the bonnet up and removed the top cover but couldn't find anything amiss although the smell seemed to be coming from the rear of the engine. Rang the recovery number and they said it was very likely an engine regen or burning plastic engine label but unlikely anything else, although if it continued then ring back.
This didn't appease my wife who uses the car for work, but luckily this forum did, so thanks for that and as I'm now a member I shall be reading and hopefully contributing.
Thankyou

1 - 18 of 18 Posts