Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although my vehicle is actually a B class, it does have most of the 'bells & whistles' fitted and I suspect this situation could arise with you guys.

Last week I parked up my car in front of my bungalow and locked it up before retiring inside. Then, by sheer luck, I happened to look outside much later in the evening and realised that all the windows were half open.

When I got back in the vehicle, I found that the visor to the sun roof was also partly withdrawn - I then had to use all the individual buttons to close all the items up again. Having no idea how this had happened I then check several times later to ensure all was well before I retired to bed !

The next day I referred to the Owner's manual - 'Windows' referred me to 'Side Windows' which listed 'Opening/closing all' on page 103. However all I found there was a mass of warnings referring to safety issues and an indication that I would now have to go read the Digital Owners Manual !

Having not used this facility before I then had to undertake an exploratory trip using the central controller knob to eventually discover that I must have accidentally held the 'open' button on my key fob down a little too long !! :frown2:

My comments as a result of this farce are :-
a) BEWARE you do not actuate this situation by accidentally holding that button down without realising all the windows are now in a down position. [It does appear that no form of audible warning will be provided]
b) Do not expect the 300+ pages of the owner's manual to enable you to locate simple pieces of straight forward information without being forced to make reference to the Digital Owners Manual - which is another challenge (especially if you were to undertake this late at night !).

I would of course be happy to hear of any way that this particular 'feature' could be disabled as I certainly have no need of it (I will just 'wind' the windows down individually !). :confused:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I haven't used this feature on my GLA (because I now have an internal garage that keeps the car warm and dry), and I don't know how well (or not) it is explained in the manual, but as a long-term Merc owner I am very aware of this feature, which is good as far as I'm concerned, and which all Mercs have had for many years. Basically, if I recall, if you are locking your car and hold the button down for a few seconds, all the windows and the sun roof close together in one go. If you have had passengers on a hot day and are unsure which windows are open or not - even slightly - this feature secures everything in one go. Similarly, if it's a hot day and you are opening your car, hold the button down and all the windows and the sun roof open together to cool the car down as rapidly as possible. As I say, I think this is a *good* feature, but I guess if you don't know about it and press the button for too long, you might have a problem on your hands. I would blame the salesman for not explaining this *feature* when selling you the car.

PS: If you found your windows open then I would guess that your car was also unlocked. I might be wrong, but I'm guessing that you not only accidentally pressed the key fob for more than a few seconds, but you also pressed the 'unlock' button.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi Roy, thanks for that reply - yes, I do accept that I must have (accidentally) pressed the button down at some point without knowing it (I have done such a thing previously with an estate car and hence unknowingly opening the tailgate !).
However I am slightly confused by your P.S. as you state "guessing that you not only accidentally pressed the key fob for more than a few seconds, but you also pressed the 'unlock' button". I am not clear about your differentiation between the key fob and the unlock button. :confused:
Much as you find this feature useful, I think I would prefer to disable it if I could.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Dave. I meant that the button you accidentally pressed for a few seconds was probably the 'unlock' button, as opposed to the 'lock' button, which would have then tried to close all the already closed windows i.e. nothing would have happened.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts