Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, GLA220 cdi AMG line:-

- has anyone found difficulty in the auto park function. I have never really had much confidence in it as it seems reluctant to work. This is obviously important if you find a space on a road with traffic roaring up behind you! I tried and tried to get it to work and eventually gave up, feeling like a complete failure I went along to my MB garage and a salesman demonstrated it to me. 1st time, didn't work, 2nd, ditto, 3rd,4th, 5th, 6th............. On the TENTH attempt it sort of worked. Have I tried it since you may ask? Well, no. It's a definite weakness somewhere in the software design. Question is, is it just my car or do any of you have a similar experience, please tell!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've demonstrated it to friends a few times and it worked perfectly each time. The only time I tried it in anger, so to speak, with cars waiting behind me, it was snowing and the car was filthy. The car reversed in like it was going for a non-existent driveway, which was mega-embarrassing! I blamed the snow, and dirt on the sensors. It's only a gimmick for me, so I haven't tried it since.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm... Not alone then. Trouble is, when I was deciding which car to buy I was trying all sorts and, for example, the Quashqui and the Sportage, they worked brilliantly in not just parallel parking but bay parking too so I assumed that it was common technology that was 'out there' but MB must be using their own version and I have to say, for a prestige marque they have somewhat failed to match up. As most of these high riders have huge blind spots it is quite an important addition. I tend to rely on parking sensors and rear view camera now. If you can't do it well MB why do it at all?

·
Registered
55 Posts
In my case it was snowing and the sensors were dirty (totally understandable), but if your salesman repeatedly couldn't get it to work, why are you not asking them to fix the problem? ...it's a warranty issue.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Didn't someone else on here mention the same issue. If the sensors are clean and all the conditions are met, speed, signalling etc. it was suggested a faulty sensor could stop it working. Particularly if it parked OK on the left but not the right for example.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I test drove one at the weekend and I was keen to test this feature out, with a bit of guidance from the salesman it worked perfectly fine.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Same here I have used it a number of times now. Now I don't brake anymore. I let the car brake automatically.
Took me a while to trust that it will stop.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Mine only seems to recognise a space if it's a textbook single space between two cars at the side of the road. Only then do I get the little blue P symbol along with the arrow to indicate that I can start the park assist. In thehand bookit seems to say that you can park long ways into a spacelike whenin a car park but mine never seems to recognise that. Also it doesn't seem to activate if there is space for more than one car at the side of the road - not that you should ever need help parking into a big space but it's strange that it won't. It's also supposed to get you out of the space automatically, but I've only got that to work once :/It could be user error I suppose, I only read the manual briefly, but if so it's a shame it's not a bit more intuitive.

·
Registered
0 Posts
ah so if you parked yourself into a nice big space but came back to find yourself surrounded by cars you couldn't use the system to get you out?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Not tried it but same principle of parking should apply. It will if necessary make multiple manoeuvres to exit. If not possible, then will indicate " active park assistance " not available.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used the Park Assist in anger last week to get into the only available parking space in Leicester. It was so tight I would never have normally attempted it but it worked flawlessly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts