Mercedes GLA Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you recommend any good for all seasons tires 235/50 R18?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Can't help you, but IMHO, unless you're racing, all tyres are a design compromise. All-season tyres are even more of a compromise than summer or winter tyres. Having done a lot of research on the subject, I would recommend a good set of winter wheels and tyres, and a good set of summer wheels and tyres.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Annually moves to 15,000 kilometers. In winter less.
Two sets of wheels is not worth it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The mileage you do is irrelevant (but it's similar to mine, as it happens) as when the summer tyres are in use, the winter ones are not. The initial investment you make of the extra set, should be partly offset when you sell the car, as you can sell the extra wheels too, or sell them independently. The difference in winter grip, and the fact that aquaplaning becomes a thing of the past, is what matters. I have lost count of the number of times that I have had to brake hard or swerve in cold/icy/snowy conditions, that I guess I would not have made it out in one piece had I been running summer tyres (which I used to run all the time). Admittedly I live in Ruralshire where the roads are narrow and rough, but rain and ice happens in towns too. Running winter tyres is all about safety, and if you can afford to buy a Merc, you should be able to afford to increase your chances of driving safely in the winter. Just my two-pennies worth!

Anyway, you asked about all-season tyres, and not only are they more expensive (against comparative-quality summer tyres), but they wear at a much higher rate in the summer, so either way you'll be paying more. Also, you'll be running the same width and profile of tyre in both seasons, so there's another compromise that you wouldn't have to make if you ran two sets of wheels.

I'm not sure about the conditions in your country, but if they are anything like typical UK conditions, if you only want to run one set of wheels/tyres all year, you'd be better off safety-wise running a good set of winter tyres all-year, and taking a hit on the extra wear in the summer. This is my blog-post on the subject, which explores the cost of running two sets of wheels > http://www.sinclairdesign.com/b/blog/piste/winter-wheels-and-tyres/

·
Registered
55 Posts
You can use winter wheels without TPMS sensor?
The sensors attach to the inner-valve, not the wheel. If you buy your wheels from MB they normally come with the sensors fitted (mine did). Alternatively, yes, you don't have to fit TPMS sensors - they are an 'extra', not a requirement.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm running nokian all weathers in that size. They match summer tyre spec (v rated) and have been excellent in all weather conditions. Absolutely no issues with tyre wear in the summer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm running nokian all weathers in that size. They match summer tyre spec (v rated) and have been excellent in all weather conditions. Absolutely no issues with tyre wear in the summer.
That's good to know - tyre technology has come on leaps and bounds in recent years. However, I maintain that running just one set of tyres all year is not going to give you as good performance and safety as running both summer and winter tyres. Even Nokian are keen to point out the compromises between winter, all-weather and all-season tyres > https://www.kaltire.com/nokian-all-weather-tires-a-winter-tire-you-can-use-all-year-long

Note their wheel ratings for the different conditions, and the fact that not even they give any of their non-summer tyres five wheels for stability on asphalt (the v rating tells you how fast you can safely go, not how well they grip). I guess it all comes down to budget, and how often you are likely to spend in each of the different conditions.

PS: I am not suggesting that anyone is foolish to buy all-weather tyres, as they are much better than running summer tyres all year; I'm just trying to say that they are a compromise over running two sets, that's all :).

·
Registered
35 Posts
A fair point about difference in grip, but high quality all weathers will usually beat cheaper summers in the summer...

It also depends how you use the car. I run two sets on e class estate as it does more high speed stuff. That said only real difference in the summer is the summer tyres (Bridgestone) are noisier and wear faster!

My point in being v rated is that in the past all weathers tended to be lower rated. Nowadays they are not.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A fair point about difference in grip, but high quality all weathers will usually beat cheaper summers in the summer...
I'm sure you're right :)

Since moving to running winter tyres after many decades of motoring on summers all year, and now that I experience the vast difference in grip each winter (in all conditions), I take every opportunity available to try and persuade others to wake up to the fact that summer tyres are [email protected] in UK winters.

·
Registered
5 Posts
jmblack, which model of Nokian all season tyres do you have? I can't see any on their website at 235/50 R18! Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts