Mercedes GLA Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all have been reading some bad reviews on the gla 7 speed dct gearbox.can anyone put my mind at ease as ive got a gla with the dct on order for early march.only other dct type car that ive been in before is an audi and there dsg box is awesome.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The DCT (4x4) gearbox is superb, in me 'umble. I can't fault it, and I'm not adverse to overtaking in a hurry. The gear changes are seamless, and the two modes - sport or eco - seem perfectly mapped for the two driving styles. This might be because I have a GLA 250 AMG line (which has suspension and steering differences, so might also have gearbox changes that I don't know about), but I'd say MB have got it very right with the gearbox. If you want optimum overtaking readiness, you just pull in the left paddle when you're getting ready, which then puts the car into the optimum overtaking gear - which is how it was with my previous C Class. If you're in eco mode and suddenly put your foot hard to the floor, I dare say that you might notice a second's hesitation while it changes down four gears, but that's the choice you make when you select the driving mode and don't think ahead!

The way the gearbox engages four-wheel drive is again totally seamless. You don't notice the power shifting, but you do notice the lack of rear-end slide when you most expect it, but it doesn't come.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe they've done a firmware update to iron out any early problem.can't wait for my gla to come.last update was mid match delivery.

·
Registered
0 Posts
the auto gear box has certainly had some poor reviews in the motoring press so heartening to hear some positives. Most reviewers though say it is a nice car to drive so I guess the criticisms are exaggerated and journalists having to find something to say.About4-6 weeksbefore mine arrives. Cannot wait!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Did you not both take a GLA for a test drive before ordering? Presumably you were happy with the gearbox during that test drive?

I think the main thing is that this forum is full of owners like me declaring to anyone who wants to hear us, that we love our new cars!

So far, the only criticism I have is that the turning circle is not as good as my previous C Class, and someone else doesn't like the position of the USB socket. That's about it, I think.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did test drive but only for a couple of hours so was asking the question to get a answer from all you gla owner with loads of experience.All the replies I am getting are putting my mind at ease.thanks for all the great replies

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did think that but still think it will be way better than the auto box in my mercedes slk
Cheers

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nigel smith said:
I had the q5 auto before my GLa there is no comparison the audi is streets ahead sorry to say
I've never owned an Audi so just out of interest, in what way is the
Q5's gearbox streets ahead? I just did a quick google on the subject and
found forum posts from Q5 owners with gearbox problems, saying that
Merc 7g autos are better!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Feel the need to wade in. I love my Mercedes but my only niggle is the the auto change. I had an Audi and it was better. No hint of lag and so smooth. The main difference is at low speeds and from standing I think. Maybe had I not driven the Audi I wouldn't have an issue. It's not enough to make me go back to an Audi (as much as I did like it)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Lag is not an issue for me, so maybe I drive my car differently. If ever I am getting ready to overtake, I always knock it down a gear or two manually. In the C Class I used to have to literally knock or hold the gear lever over to the left; now I can just pull the paddle like I do on GT5 (if you hold the left paddle in, the best overtaking gear is automatically selected for you). The point is that I am always in the optimum gear for acceleration when I put my foot down to overtake, and in so doing, the turbo is also spinning and ready for instant action.

When I go for the overtake now, in my GLA250, I get a kick like I used to in my 2-stroke race kart, and I have to be very careful I don't hit the car in front before I've steered into the opposite lane! To anyone that finds the gear-change lagging, may I respectfully recommend that you think ahead a second or two, and get into the habit of preparing the car for what you are about to ask of it. This is second nature to racing drivers, but is also a safer way to drive when you don't want to spend a second more on the wrong side of the road than you need to.

·
Registered
55 Posts
350Mat said:
Roy if you don't drop down manually with the pedals do you still notice a bit of lag?
No, but my point is that if I was cruising in Eco seventh gear and put my foot hard down, I would expect to notice a lag as (a) the gearbox changes down four gears, and (b) the turbo starts its wind-up. All these engineering facets are a compromise between performance, comfort, economy and durability. I am very happy with the GLA's gearbox because I when I go into 'race' mode (in my head), the car is fantastically powerful, responsive and silky-smooth with its seamless gear changes. I didn't buy a race car, but I've certainly got more than I expected in this regard
...and yes, I do now how to race, and win, properly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts