Mercedes GLA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
New to this website, just ordered a GLA 220CDI AMG line 4Matic in red with night and premium packs.
I have been trying to find out in simple terms how the 4WD system normally runs, but there seems to be so many different variations on 4Matic from different models and websites that I am not convinced I have it down correct.
So my understanding is that in normal dry conditions the GLA will be driving on 2WD from the front wheels.In slippy conditions (wet, mud, snow, ice etc) the system can move up to 50% of drive to the rear wheels utilising 4WD to maintain traction, returning back to 2WD once normal traction resumes.
IS that CORRECT?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A follow on question from this:
Why are you not meant to use the offroad button in snow (my understanding from what I have read)?
I would have thought that a button that adjusts the traction control etc to allow better grip on loose ground would be good for snow?
Any ideas?
Thanks, Nick.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I chose to ignore this part of the manual through not understanding the logic either. I use the off-road button when off-road, snow or no snow, and I do not switch it on just because there is snow on the ground. I think that may be what they are getting at here, that just because there is snow on the road, that does not necessarily mean that you should run the car in off-road mode, which changes the mapping on the throttle, gearbox and lighting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts